Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray glue quilt layers >

Spray glue quilt layers

Spray glue quilt layers

Old 11-16-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Spray glue quilt layers

I know there have been some discussions about securing layers of the quilt for quilting with spray glue. I want to try this technique. How in the world do you get these layers manipulated and smoothed together by yourself?!
I have a queen-sized quilt to work on. Have always used the safetypin method and want to do something else.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:54 PM

First, I start with my batting on the table. It's easier to get to hold still for me. I clamp it down all around my table.

I spread the backing over it and make sure everything is as it should be. Then I fold back 1/2 and spray in a sort of grid like pattern. Smooth the backing over the batting and repeat on the other side.

Flip it all over and do the same with the quilt top.

This methods works really well, but I do generally end up with lots of fuzziness on my hands and forearms. I've gone to using Elmer's glue and a paint brush. It seems less messy to me . . . and cheaper. I'm cheap!
Old 11-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

I mark the centers of the backing and batting and top before starting to layer. For batting, I use a Sharpie permanent marker (will not bleed later). For the backing and top I usually just fold in half and iron the crease. Otherwise I do mostly as Lisa wrote, except i do not clamp down the batting.

It's really important to position two layers first, then fold whatever is on top halfway down before glueing. I forgot to do that once -- laid out the backing, sprayed the entire backing, then struggled to position the batting on top of all. Ridiculously difficult! Don't spray (or glue) until you have two layers positioned correctly, then fold down half of the top layer before spraying (or spreading glue) so you are doing only half at a time.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter and Prism99 have given you excellent advise. I would add only that I use a few safely pins after I've secured the layers with adhesive spray - just for an added bit of security. (It's even easier, tho, if you have a friend who can help you spread and smooth things out!)
Old 11-16-2013, 04:26 PM

I only use 505 spray adhesive and love it. I clamp the backing onto a piece of 4 x6 plywood with large binder clips, lay the batting on top, fold half way down spray the BACKING and then smooth out the batting, repeat for the other side. I then lay the quilt top on the pieces, fold the top half way down, spray the TOP and then smooth. I then do the other half. As I do the other half I unclip the finished part and then clip the entire sandwich on to the board with the unsandwich part now on the board ready to be sprayed. On the 2nd part I have to fold the cloth back lengthwise instead of across.
Also I do not center by backing on the board. I lay it one edge of the backing on the board so the backing is about 2/3 on the board. I let the rest hang down until I sandwich the 1st part and then only have to move the sandwich 1 time instead of having to center the parts, and then more them 2 more tme to complete the sandwich. If you do it this way besure that you have plenty of backing/batting to fit under the top. I would also use this same method of laying out the backing if I was going to use pins or ding it on a samller table. .
Spray basting is really nice since the fabrics do not move much and it is so much lighter than with pins.
My large plywood board is on a brown table and kept up all te time.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

it's a basting spray. you can pull your fabric from it and reposition if necessary. it washes out. Sulky, 505 are the ones I use. lightly spray across your fabric and lay onto the batting. smooth out from the top. turn over and lay backing and do the same.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
First, I start with my batting on the table. It's easier to get to hold still for me. I clamp it down all around my table.

I spread the backing over it and make sure everything is as it should be. Then I fold back 1/2 and spray in a sort of grid like pattern. Smooth the backing over the batting and repeat on the other side.

Flip it all over and do the same with the quilt top.

This methods works really well, but I do generally end up with lots of fuzziness on my hands and forearms. I've gone to using Elmer's glue and a paint brush. It seems less messy to me . . . and cheaper. I'm cheap!
I do it like this mostly, and use glue. I'm in the process now. But I don't clamp the batting. Just smooth it out and then smooth first the backing and fold back and glue, then fold back and glue other side. AFter it dries, flip and smooth top. I'm on my 7th or 8th quilt this way. they are lap size but still hang over the dining room table. I just move them around. So far I am thrilled with this method.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM

I sew on a small Singer. I used to spray baste. Now I'm an Elmers fan but, just in case you also have a small machine. I would still safety pin the layers. There is so much manipulation of the quilt thru the opening, spray baste doesn't hold the layers together.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Check out this spray basting wall tutorial by Patsy Tompson. I put one in my garage and it is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
Old 11-16-2013, 07:55 PM

I know a lot of you dilute the glue, or spread it on with a brush....but for me it is straight from the bottle, full strength. I hate making more work for myself if I don't have to. I simply open the tip wide open, turn it upside down and squeeze while moving back and forth across across the batting (about 12" or so up from the batting)....important to apply glue to batting and smooth fabric onto batting, then pat down well. You will not get wrinkles this way and by applying in a grid of lines about 2-4" apart, there is no need to pin because the fabrics/batting will not shift. Some will use the iron to dry the glue, but I just let mine air dry for a couple hours, then flip to do the other side....plus ironing dry probably not advisable for poly battings.