Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray sizing/starch >

Spray sizing/starch

Spray sizing/starch

Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM

Default Spray sizing/starch

I am getting ready to cut out a quilt with pieces cut on the bias. Has anyone used Mary Ellen's Best Press? My LQS recommended it so as not to stretch the fabric. If anyone could share their experience with this product would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

I think any starch product will work but you have to be so carefully when handling, sewing and pressing the quilt pieces. I use an inexpensive spray starch that is found in the super Walmart called Magic Sizing in a turquoise can for 99 cents.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 AM

I use either one - the Magic Sizing or the Mary Ellen's Best Press. Sometimes the Best Press Scent Free is not available and so I keep the Magic Sizing in reserve. I can't say if one was better than the other because I haven't tried to compare the 2. My first choice is the Best Press because it does seem to make the fabric relax to get the wrinkles out. There are times when the fabric just wants to hold on to those wrinkles and just plain water doesn't do it. And I have not needed a heavier starch since I have not made anything with triangles yet.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:05 AM

I use the Best Press when I have the money. (It is pretty expensive in my estimation) It works really well and I like the lavender smell. Otherwise I use the spray starch from the Dollar Store. I don't think it works as well and I have to use a lot of it to get close to the same result. There are a lot of posts about making your own starch but that hasn't interested me yet.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:06 AM

I love the Best Press. I use it on fabric when pressing before cutting, and during block construction. In other discussions, people have said that starch is even more stabilizing than Best Press, but I haven't tried starch myself.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 AM

JoAnn's Fabric stores are now carrying Mary Ellen's best press and I've been able to use the coupons that are considered "notions".....so keep your eyes open for the coupons. Hancock Fabric Stores do not let you use coupons for it. Oh well....gotta look for the bargains anywhere we can get them!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

The results of sizing and Best Press are very similar -- very light stabilization of the fabric. Sizing is a chemical mixture made by man.

Personally, for the task you describe, I would use heavy starch. Heavy starch stabilizes the fabric *much* more than sizing or Best Press. I would probably use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water. The fabric comes out much stiffer but this is good -- actually increases accuracy in cutting and sewing, and decreases chances of bias edges stretching. It all washes out later.

Edit: Spray starch from the store can also be used. If you buy a can of spray starch and a can of sizing and try them both out, you will see a big difference in how they stabilize the fabric. The only thing with spray starch is that you need to be careful to allow the fibers a little time to absorb the starch. Unwashed fabric especially is treated with chemicals that retard absorption. If you do not allow the fabric fibers time to absorb the starch, you will get flaking of the starch when you iron and it becomes easier to scorch the starch (and make a mess of your iron).

Last edited by Prism99; 02-27-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Starch and handle gently. When ever possible I sew the bias seam on triangles out of two stacked squares. I then cut down between the two triangles to separate them.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 AM

I love Best Press. I'm not so fond of starch. When making a quilt, I like the nice soft feel of the fabric while I'm working. With starch, it feels like paper instead of cloth. Just a personal fondness for fabric.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:18 AM

I'm with Prism99....I'd go with a heavy starch like Sta-flo on a 1:1 basis as well. Bias edges can be nasty playmates sometimes. Handle those pieces as delicately and as little as possible. If they are large pieces cut on the bias (i.e. setting triangles), it might be worth the time to very carefully stitch a line of stay stitching on the very edge to help with distortion. On smaller pieces I wouldn't bother.