Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray starch and Moths! >

Spray starch and Moths!

Spray starch and Moths!

Old 11-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Hi, maybe I imagined this, but seems to me someone posted that using spray starch draws moths. Well, I have just recently started using spray starch for my fabric and I love it! But, just this past week or so I am seeing tiny moths all over my house!!! Can't figure out where they came from, nor how to get rid of them except chase after them with the flyswatter. I don't like using bug spray in the house as we have a cat.
Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any natural redemies for getting rid of them?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Not sure about moths and starch but does cedar keep them away? smells pretty and don't think would bother kitty like "moth balls"
Old 11-13-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlonger
Not sure about moths and starch but does cedar keep them away? smells pretty and don't think would bother kitty like "moth balls"
I tried to find a cedar block in K-Mart today but couldn't. I will keep looking as I was thinking this might work, but I wonder if a spice might work. I know putting out cloves keeps ants away, also bay leaves. I would be willing to try anything at this point... ha ha ha :)
Old 11-13-2010, 04:05 PM

I buy this starch at my LQS. It costs more and is supposed to not attract moths which generally happens only over time while its stored. I am not so worried about bugs because my quilts get used and never packed away. It does however give a crispness to the fabric and NEVER leaves white flakes which the regular starch does. It comes in different scents. Also, you can dilute it in half and it still works great! :-D I have two bottles, go get one refilled, and pour half into the other bottle, then add water.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125879.jpe  
Old 11-13-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by GwynR
I buy this starch at my LQS. It costs more and is supposed to not attract moths which generally happens only over time while its stored. I am not so worried about bugs because my quilts get used and never packed away. It does however give a crispness to the fabric and NEVER leaves white flakes which the regular starch does. It comes in different scents. Also, you can dilute it in half and it still works great! :-D I have two bottles, go get one refilled, and pour half into the other bottle, then add water.
Thanks GwynR - I know my lqs doesn't carry this but maybe a couple of the other ones that are farther away might. I will check by phone on Monday.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM

The moths go after the starch when things are stored away. They like to eat it.
I think the kind that you are getting now has to do with the season. IMHO

packets af cedar blocks and bags of chips, etc. are at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I personally make sachets from fabric scraps and gerbil bedding from Walmart. It is cedar shavings and one cheap bag makes scads of sachets. Sometimes I make them pretty for friends and sometimes I just use muslin scraps for storage closets.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM

You need to go check out your flour canister, bags of shelled nuts, crackers, etc. The little devils come in with flour as far as I can tell here at my house. Look for little webs in the top of anything open in your kitchen, spices included. Since I have been keeping my flour in the freezer, no problem, but two years ago I had to get rid of almost everything in my kitchen. I'm sure they came in with the flour, but before I discovered them, they were in everything. Yuck.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Farmer Girl
You need to go check out your flour canister, bags of shelled nuts, crackers, etc. The little devils come in with flour as far as I can tell here at my house. Look for little webs in the top of anything open in your kitchen, spices included. Since I have been keeping my flour in the freezer, no problem, but two years ago I had to get rid of almost everything in my kitchen. I'm sure they came in with the flour, but before I discovered them, they were in everything. Yuck.
That's what I was thinking, too. Generally it takes a long time for the moths that go after cloth. The kitchen ones are a pain. I had an invastion one time....ended up bombing the house 3 times!!!! Finally, I put everything -- I mean EVERYTHING -- in plastic ziplocks. Would you believe I found them nesting in a jar of Lipton Ice Tea mix!!!!! I don't buy that any more.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:42 PM

they sound like pantry moths...i have had them before in kitchen. I recommend these traps: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/moth-traps

they work nicely
Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Bay leaves in the container with the starched material keeps moths and other critters away.

I no longer use starch, but use the Best Press instead.

ali