Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray starch >

Spray starch

Spray starch

Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Gal

Hi it's me again, more questions, this time it is about spray starch. Does this clog up the needle on your machine? And do you need to wash the quilt when finished if you use it? For example if you have used it on your applique shapes. Also does a quilt need to be pressed after it is completed?
Thankyou for your help, everyone is so friendly and so helpful here, I shan't get any quilting done at this rate!!!! lol

Gal
Old 03-17-2010, 01:04 PM

I use Niagra spray starch and Mary Ellen's Best. I have not had any problems with the starch gumming up my needles. I always press my quilts really well before I quilt them. And I always wash my quilts before I use them and any starch gets washed out.

I was at Hancock Fabrics the other day and one of the ladies was telling us that the Lavender scent is a deterent to moths. Don't know if this is true, or just a way to sell more since they were promoting the Lavender Mary Ellens.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Gal

Thanks Sherri, just thoght I would tell you about what I do with lavender, I grow it and pick the flowers to bring inside in bunches to dry, it helps keep flies away (I live in the country)I also put it in my linen press to make my cupboard smell nice and it is supposed to keep moths away etc. I also make little lavender bags with the flowers to put among my fabric stash to make it smell nice and keep moths and insects out of that too! It beats the smell of moth balls (does anyone still use those)? When the bags appear to have dried out just squeeze them and that releases the oils again. I do not lay them between fabrics just inside the cupboaed will be enough. I have been sewing for years and used this plant in among my fabrics and I have not had any problems with moths or insects etc. Much cheaper than buying a product and it lasts a long time. Smells fabulous!!

Gal
Old 03-17-2010, 01:32 PM

I use the mary ellen's best press and just love the stuff. Used it all morning ironing the yardage that came out of the dryer. I use the lavender it was the scent my LQS had and I just love it so I bought the big jug of it to refill in lavender too.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I use Mary Ellens best press too, but the lavendar gags me. I like the unscented. I have alergies.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:21 PM

I let the starch dry really, really well before I iron it. I have had no problem with it gumming up my needle.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM

I use a lot of spray starch. It really helps stabilize bias edges and piecing.

I use Sta Flo and mix it in a spray bottle from the gardening section of Wal Mart.

A couple of years ago at my quilt retreat, someone complained about the canned spray starch bothering their allergies. I went to WalMart and picked up a jug of Sta Flo and have used it every since. I love it!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Gal

Hi Barb, can you elaborate on Sta Flo, I do know that product but we may have similar here in NZ, I could have done with this good advise before I cut out my triangles for the outside edge I did not know about biases and the outside edges when I began cutting out! I think it was a case of trying to run before I could walk, however I am happy with my quilt and to help with the slightly curvy edges I piano key quilted them which helped a lot!

Gal
Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Welcome Gal, From New Zealand,
Glad you found this site, you will love it.
Starch when dry which is after ironed will not gum up your needle, as I have found... never a problem.
I only press the top before layering to quilt it.
I just make sure to always wash all fabrics before I use fro quiltig. Colors run sometimes or has a lot of sizing and after washing you may decids not to use. Happy quilting.
Connie
Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Gal

Thankyou Connie, yes I do wash all fabrics prior to using, thanks for info on pressing as in all the quiling books I have read, non say to press the quilt afterwards, and I have always wondered about that, I guess it would flatten the top too much. I guess it was obvious but when you are new to quilting there is so much to learn! Gal