Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Spray starches in Australia?

Spray starches in Australia?

I see lots of references to Best Press and Sta Flo - can any Aussie quilters tell me what starch they use and where it can be purchased here?
    Lindy B

Blog Entries
    I have seen best press at a quilt shop but it was very expensive. I just use Crisp, available at just about every supermarket I have been to in Canberra, it has quite a stong smell though, which I find annoying. I would love it if Costco carried more of these popular American lines but they don't.
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    There are recipes online for making your own Best Press. There are also recipes for making your own spray starch. Different kinds of starches work -- potato, rice, corn. Most people use plain old cooking cornstarch. You cook it so it lasts longer, and put it in a spray bottle.

Sta-Flo is slightly different in that there are preservatives included in it. Homemade spray starches typically last only about 2 weeks before starting to get moldy. However, after Sta-Flo is mixed with water to make a homemade spray starch, it too starts getting moldy after about 2 weeks.

The upshot here is that you can reproduce both of these products rather easily at home.

Thanks for that - I think Crisp is an aerosol - like Fabulon. I can certainly get some of that - also will look at home made Best Press, just out of interest to see what it is like.
    Lindy B

I guess I have been lucky with Sta-Flo I am pretty sure it last me more than 2 weeks and its never gone moldy. Maybe its the essential oil I put in it. I find myself using it less and less though and using the home made linen spray more. Cheaper and no white flakes.
    I also love the look on peoples faces when they walk into my bathroom and there is a big bottle of vodka sitting on the counter. Hehe!!

I've made spray starch and not had a problem with mold. I use a drop or two of lavender essential oil. It works very well.

Blog Entries
    You can keep the home made cornstarch press in the fridge. It will stay fresh longer.
    Got fabric?

Thanks for the advice everyone - I am definitely going to try the home made best press spray - I can't wait to tell my hubby I have a bottle of vodka and he is not to touch it - it is definitely for ironing purposes only! He helps with housework but has always maintained that he does not iron. Perhaps if he thinks vodka is part of the deal he may change his mind - until he realises it is sprayed on and not sipped!
    Lindy B