Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Starching >

Spray Starching

Spray Starching

Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 PM

Are you spraying each fat quarter separately? If so put them all in one place floor for me and press and spray all over. I find after ops on both hands easier than having to keep pressing in short bursts . Must look for the garden spray with pump action.,never seen a small one.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:40 AM
Gay

I have a collection of inexpensive trigger type spray bottles, about $1.50, found in supermarkets, hardware and
el-cheapo stores - for use for anything from starch to weedkiller. (labelled, naturally) Also use a powdered starch with water as purchased aerosols cost too much over time.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:50 PM

Thanks to all of you for replying. I headed over to Wallmart and got a pump trigger spray bottle. Holds about 2 cups of starch. Tried it out today. Much better than what I had been using.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:07 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]518437[/ATTACH]
This device attaches to the spray starch and sizing cans. It cost about 7 bucks- the cheaper ones do not work as easily. This thing makes it really easy to spray.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewsue View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]518437[/ATTACH]
This device attaches to the spray starch and sizing cans. It cost about 7 bucks- the cheaper ones do not work as easily. This thing makes it really easy to spray.
I put a top like this on the Terial Magic and go to town!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
What about one of those very small garden sprayers that you pump the top and then just hold down the sprayer. I'm thinking the ones that hold about a quart? What do y'all think?
I had one a few years ago.. worked great and really helped when my hands hurt. They do get clogged over time with the starch , but soaking in warm water usually cleared the clog.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 PM

If I have a large amount of fabric to starch, I go ahead and mix up the sta-flo in the sink or bowl and wet the fabric all the way down. I wring out what liquid I can and then let the fabric set so it soaks all the way into the fibers (at least 15 minutes). If it drys out that is fine too as a little spritz of water from the iron and it's good to go.

I might be showing my age but I can remember my Mom wetting the pillowcases and handkerchiefs and rolling them up then putting them into the frig so they didn't mildew. We'd pull them out and iron a few at a time over the day until it was time to start all over. I also remember getting upset with my StepDad and spraying each "fold" of his handkerchief with starch....they were so stiff "nothing" would stick to it when he sneezed or blew his nose, lol...bless the guy because he never said
a word or cracked a smile when he used that batch of them.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:47 AM

For Best Press I went to Sally's Beauty Supply and got a small bottle that has a trigger sprayer that has a really fine mist. It is intended for hair spray. I wanted the fine mist because Best Press is so pricey I wanted it to go further plus the fine mist covers the fabric more evenly.
For starch I use a pistol grip spray bottle (mixed 50/50 starch and water) and put my fabric in a plastic dishpan to spray it down. The dish pan keeps the spray from getting all over everything and when it dries the starch just flakes off the dishpan's surface. After I spray the fabric I roll it up and put it in a plastic bag for the starch to absorb into the fibers. This keeps my iron more clean when I press if there is less starch on the surface of the fabric. If you can't get to pressing it within a hour or so then put it in the fridge to keep mildew from forming just like they did years ago when you sprinkled clothes. Wish I still had the pop bottle with the sprinkler top on it that my mother had when I was growing up.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:42 AM
Vat

Actually, there is an air-spray bottle out there but I can't tell you where to buy one. I just know there is one out there. You might try to find it on-line. But also when I have lots of fabrics to starch I do soak it in the sink. You do waste some starch but I use Sta-Flo starch mixed half with water and it is lots less expensive than Best Press. It also gives a much better stiffness if that is what you like. Good luck finding the sprayer.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:54 AM

Yes, CitrusCounty, those pop bottle sprinkler tops were something! Once in awhile you can spot them in an antique store. Then, we'd probably get sore elbows!! I've just started using the 50/50 of Sta-Flo in a small spray bottle and store it in the fridge if there's leftover solution. The repetitive motion is what 'gets' us!