Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: sq in a sq

sq in a sq

Is there a formula or tutorial for the triangles that make the square in a square?

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

My inside square is 12 1/2 unfinished. I don't think I have ever seen a sq in a sq this size. It's a large windmill
    (4 6" half triangles)that I want to set on point. I can probably figure it out by playing with the fabric. Just thought there was a formula. Like + or - an inch..or so.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Blog Entries
    I think they would be corner triangles, does this help?

http://www.stcroixquilters.com/setting%20triangles.htm
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Quote Originally Posted by linhawk View Post
    My inside square is 12 1/2 unfinished. I don't think I have ever seen a sq in a sq this size. It's a large windmill
    (4 6" half triangles)that I want to set on point. I can probably figure it out by playing with the fabric. Just thought there was a formula. Like + or - an inch..or so.
    Ha. In this case you would need this table. You would need to cut two 9.5" squares then
    cut them on the diagonal. You just need the corner triangles therefore you should refer to
    the figures on the right. I've been studying this myself for another pattern.
    http://quiltbug.com/articles/on-point.htm

Blog Entries
    If you mean the method where you start with 2 square a sme size right sides together. Machine all the way around the squares. Carefully cut the diagonals on one square only careful. Turn them back to make a new square. Then using that square cut out another square same size place on top right sides together and sew all around. Careful it the diagonals and fold back. Only thing I don't like is that the points disappear. I have in my mind that if the you cut the top square half an inch larger than the square below and cut into diagonals before you put on bottom square and overlap in centre points may not disappear. So far only had time to loat idea in my head. When I have time intend to try.
    Finished is better than a UFO