Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Square quilt?

Square quilt?

I'm making a quilt, and have somehow made it 4 squares both across and down, making it square. They are 12" blocks. For some reason this bugs the heck out of me. Should I do four more at the bottom or leave it? I'm still working on the blocks so dont have a picture ready...
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
    I'm making a quilt, and have somehow made it 4 squares both across and down, making it square. They are 12" blocks. For some reason this bugs the heck out of me. Should I do four more at the bottom or leave it? I'm still working on the blocks so dont have a picture ready...
    I would add another row, I prefer quilts to be more rectangular.
    1951 Singer 301A - "Jean"
    1958 Singer Featherweight - "Verna"
    2009 Janome 4100QDC - Nameless

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    Either another row or just add borders and make the top and bottom ones smaller than the ones on the sides. Unless you are wanting the whole quilt to be squares then yes I would add another row. I do not care for the look of a "square" quilt.

I've seen some square quilts that I've liked, but if it bothers you, add a row. Consider the overall size you want in the finished product and decide from that.
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Add blocks for length or to take away the "bugginess" (smile) if that is what would make you pleased with this quilt. As it is, will it fit the person you want to cover comfortably? Looking forward to seeing your pics. Thanks.
    Desiderata (Max Ehrmann) - Walk placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

Blog Entries
    Don't be bugged - add another row. I do like square quilts though, and think they work for baby size for sure.

I really like square quilts. But the decision should depend on what size you want it to be.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
    it may be irritating you, as it does me when there is a center seam...i always end up with 3 x 4 or 5 x 6 (or 7)... crossways doesn't bother me, but a center seam means no center for the eye to go to....

It all depends on what you are planning on doing with your quilt. My friend loves square quilts on the bed because she says it doesn't matter which way you turn them and they wear more evenly. As for me, I keep on making rectangular ones.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Lol. I sooooo don't want to make more! Lolol!! I'll finish these 6 that I'm working on then I'll see how it looks. I DO want it to be perfect though, so if I have to, I will. :-)
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast