Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square Rulers >

Square Rulers

Square Rulers

Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 AM

When i have an odd sized block, and no ruler to match, I mark my larger ruler with glow line tape. If the block also has some center feature that needs to be considered, I also mark the center with glow line tape, too.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:50 AM

Paper Princess...thank you for the link!! I have never heard of this company before, but will be ordering soon.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:56 AM

I haven't been able to find squares in sets but I have bought every size available here. My friend teases me about them but they work for me and that is what is important. I have 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 12.5 and 16.5. Now that I am more experienced, I probably wouldn't need to buy all of them but I've used all of them for squaring up and cutting blocks and my guild borrows them all the time for our Community Quilt afternoons. You can really power through a pile of scraps with the right sized square!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I use my 12.5" square ruler often to square up blocks, cut multiple strips; although last year I purchased a Fiskar's rotary cutter and ruler that I love when cutting strips, squares, etc. and it doesn't aggravate my carpal tunnel. I also frequently use my 6", 6.5 and 4.5 rulers when squaring up portions of blocks/blocks. I try hard to keep my 1/4" seams, but I am sometimes off by a little bit; and I like to square up smaller portions of a quilt block as well as the quilt block; even if I just trim a smidgeon, my blocks come out better and so does my quilt.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I have gotten many templates from Baycreek Quilting. Here's a link to the square rulers. They do have sets. I am working on a quilt with 2 odd size blocks: 4 3/8 and 5 3/4. I ordered custom templates from them, the price was VERY reasonable and the turn around was quick.
http://www.quilttemplates.com/squareuptool.html
THANK YOU! Paperprincess. That's exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I like the June Tailor Strip Cut ruler for squaring up since I can cut two sides at the same time and make sure they're exactly parallel to each other.
I never use my square up rulers at all anymore. I use my June Tailor Shape Cut, because its so much more accurate. However, if taking it to class, I would be sure to make a thick cardboard envelope to transport it in.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM

PaperPrincess

Thank you for posting the link to Baycreek Quilting. I went on that site and you are so right, reasonable priced.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 AM

I have gotten many templates from Baycreek Quilting. Here's a link to the square rulers. They do have sets. I am working on a quilt with 2 odd size blocks: 4 3/8 and 5 3/4. I ordered custom templates from them, the price was VERY reasonable and the turn around was quick.
Thanks for this link, Paper Princess! I've bookmarked it. I've stayed away from patterns that have odd-sized blocks, so this really helps!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:53 AM

I prefer to use an oversize ruler when squaring blocks up. I rarely use my 6.5 and 8.5 ruler. I have a 12" square and a 15.5" square that I use all the time. My go to ruler for smaller blocks is a 6x12.

Who knew!! I have never seen this company before. Thanks for the link. I have always thought that someone could make a Killing on producing custom templates. What a great idea.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:21 AM

All I use is a 6 1/2 x 24" and a 12 1/2" ruler. I just use the markings to get the size I want. 12 1/2" square is used mostly for squaring up corners when trimming the quilt after quilting.