Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square in a square block >

Square in a square block

Square in a square block

Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Default Square in a square block

I am looking for more information on making the square in a square block. I typed it into the search but there were over 2000 threads. I have googled "how to's" and have found 2 methods. The first methodinvolves sewing triangles onto the square. I think this would bemore difficult as I am not comfortable sewing on a bias. I tend tostretch the fabric.

I am leaning towards the methodinvolving sewing along a diagonal line on a smaller square placed in acorner of the bigger square. I have made a couple of them now and Iam not getting a consistent square when I fold over the triangle. Idouble checked the sizes of my squares, they are cut accurate. Asfar as I can tell my issue is with sewing just off the line. Anysuggestions on how to know where exactly to sew? Is there a betterway to “draw the line” to get an exact square? Or do I just keeppractising?

Do I take out theones I have finished and re do them? They are not off by much, butenough that I can see it and I know that every fraction off adds up. What are your thoughts?

Dee
Old 08-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Rather than sewing with the triangle on top, put the square on top. This way you are not seeing on the bias. The feed dogs will work for you. As to getting a nice square you could oversize the triangles a bit and trim the finished block.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:50 PM

If the triangles are oversized, wouldn't that make the "Outside pieces" unequal? How do you square it off so you have the same size inside square?
Old 08-07-2016, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

The method you are describing is snowballing a square. In order to draw an accurate line, get a piece of fine sandpaper (220 or higher). cut the square, place it on the sandpaper & draw the diagonal line. The sand paper keeps the square from stretching. Use the smallest marking instrument (I use a sharpened pencil). Place the small square on the larger square and sew right next to the line towards the outside corner, practice does make perfect. Another trick is when you fold your corner over is it not necessary to cut the corner off the large square. Leaving that in place gives you the perfect sewing line when joining it to the next piece. just cut the excess from the smaller square.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:56 PM

I just this past week made a bunch of square in a square blocks and I was very pleased with them. This is the tutorial I used. http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...ilt-block.html
Old 08-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Misty's mom, that is one of the tutorials I used. I think it is more my sewing skills that is the issue with my blocks.

Paperprincess, I think I will try the sandpaper idea and not cutting both fabrics. I will let you know how it works!! But I have to get sandpaper first.

Thank you both
Old 08-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Power Poster

If snowballing the square, it helps to slightly curve your sewing line towards the corner. When you press, line up the corners and press in the crease. Curving helps make up for any slight deviations in your sewing line. If you curve the wrong way, you will not be able to match corners. The curve needs to be away from the center.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

I think it is Jodi Barrows who as a method using strips. She sells a ruler but I managed to do it without hers.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

I like to paper piece blocks like that. It may be the lazy way, but it's so accurate.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

What size do you want your finished blocks to be?? You can start with your center square being 3" finished or any size, sew the same size on both sides of the center square and then sew a same size width to the top and the bottom. These blocks came out 9" finished.
Attached Thumbnails watermelong-blocks.jpg