Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Square in a square block

What is your favorite method for a square in a square block?

I am making a quilt for my nephew and I purchased 12 embroidered blocks of the Boston Bruin's logo, which will be the center square set on point, in a sawtooth star block, and then I need the triangles which completes the square to measure at 5" finished, and then I will add the star points to make the block 10.5" unfinished.

In other words....I am making a 10" sawtooth star, with a center square in square.

Before I start cutting, I want to be sure I am doing this right.

Take the centered logo and cut it to 5.5 inches unfinished.

Cut four squares at 3" unfinished and draw a diagonal line edge to edge.

Align the squares to each corner of the logo patch, sew on the diagonal line, from center to opposite edge to make the triangle patch, cut away excess, press out.

This needs to result in a 5.5" unfinished square.

Are my measurements correct?

Thanks in advance!

Diane

I don't have any advice, but your avatar is sure a cutie!

Just to be sure, I would make a sample out of scrap fabric...

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    Just to be sure, I would make a sample out of scrap fabric...
    excellent idea!

>>Before I start cutting, I want to be sure I am doing this right.
    Take the centered logo and cut it to 5.5 inches unfinished. Cut four squares at 3" unfinished and draw a diagonal line edge to edge....This needs to result in a 5.5" unfinished square.
    Are my measurements correct?
    _______

Dear Diane,'
    I believe they are not. I believe, if I understand your intentions, this is the formula to follow:

5.5" unfinished = 5" finished.
    Divide 5" by 2 which = 2.5"
    Add 1/2" to each of four 2.5" squares = cut four 3" squares.

Test this for yourself. I usually test using paper squares, not fabric squares. You could sew a photocopy of your Bruins fabric to test position. I expect you chose this method to keep the directional Bruins fabric 'upright'.

You asked "What is your favorite method?" My favorite is one of my own device. From this page on my blog, http://makeitsimpler.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorial
    click on: 'VIDEO Super Fast Rotary Cutting: Square on Point'

This wastes no fabric, and keeps an 'upright' upright.

Anita Grossman Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaGrossmanSolomon
    I believe, if I understand your intentions, this is the formula to follow:

5.5" unfinished = 5" finished.
    Divide 5" by 2 which = 2.5"
    Add 1/2" to each of four 2.5" squares = cut four 3" squares.
    I thought you had to add 7/8". I would use Anita's paper method first. I use the Square in a Square ruler so I don't have to do the math!

I thought you had to add 7/8". I would use Anita's paper method first. I use the Square in a Square ruler so I don't have to do the math!
    You are right about 7/8" - when you cut a square on the diagonal into two triangles. But I believe she is using the method of sewing squares to a square and lopping off the excess. It's a good way if you want to keep things extra stable.

Anita

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmackey
    ....Take the centered logo and cut it to 5.5 inches unfinished.

Cut four squares at 3" unfinished and draw a diagonal line edge to edge.

Align the squares to each corner of the logo patch, sew on the diagonal line, from center to opposite edge to make the triangle patch, cut away excess, press out.

Diane
    This is one of my favorite blocks.
    Your measurements are correct.

BUT....in your last sentence "cut away excess".....instead, allow yourself to cut out ONLY the middle layer rather than the back also. As you have already squared your logo block, leaving the corners of it after sewing the smaller squares to it will allow you to keep the block true to size.

Because you will sew the small squares on the diagonal, and will press them back, you will find they likely do not fit exactly -- either are slightly under or over meeting the exact corner -- but not to worry about it because the discrepancy will be caught in the seam allowance when the block sections are all sewn together.

AND, if you will cut those smaller squares slightly larger than 3"....say, 3 and 1/8", you will find you won't lose the points of the square in a square into the seam allowance. That center will slightly "float", which will give the block better visual contrast in the overall view.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I believe they are not.
    Jeepers, I should have written that I believe they are. I broke my rule to not post when I am overtired.

Anita

You asked "What is your favorite method?" My favorite is one of my own device. From this page on my blog, [url=http://makeitsimpler.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorial
    http://makeitsimpler.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorial[/url]
    click on: 'VIDEO Super Fast Rotary Cutting: Square on Point'

This wastes no fabric, and keeps an 'upright' upright.

Anita Grossman Solomon

Anita, may I first say it is a priviledge to chat with you here on the board. I have seen this video in the past but could never find it on a search, so thank you so much for providing the link! I have always wanted to use my scraps to make the quilt you show on the video. I love that it snips off the dog ears.

You were using an 8" square. Does it finish at 7.5" using your method? If so, I am going to assume I should be using all 5.5" squares unfinished to make my 5" finished block.

Thanks so much for the great info!

Diane

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast