Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows???????? >

Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows????????

Square in a Square by Jodi Barrows????????

Old 07-22-2014, 05:58 PM

I've bought her rulers and book and absolutely love love LOVE them!!! I've had no problems whatsoever, and everything matches up perfectly. If you've done the Texas Two Step and its still not right, I would think you haven't cut your strips the right size - if your centre square is over 5 1/2" you need to allow a little more in the width of your strips. Also, watch your pressing and seam allowance. I don't find the method terribly wasteful. Definitely no more so than the Go cutter. If you have another method you like stick to that one. Jodi's is definitely for me tho.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 PM

I was in my LQS a while back and I checked out this method. I didn't buy the book because it sure looked like it wasted a lot of fabric. After reading these reviews, I'm glad I didn't buy it.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM

Had all her stuff and gave it away. Nothing I tried worked. Other techniques seem to work fine. I have Eleanor Burn's ruler and love it. If I need more in width, why doesn't she tell me. She's the teacher of her technique. I prefer Deb's ruler too. If one precuts fabric for the Go, there is very little waste.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:44 PM

Did you miss the steps over process?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:36 AM

To add to Terri D's comment: my former LQS owner remarked about the horrific waste of fabric. I had a bad experience in Jodi's class, so I never finished that class project.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 AM

Bought her book/ template a long time ago, tried it, did not like all those bias edges....and seemed like more work to get to the finished block than the " old way"..... So now it hangs on my pegboard wall....should donate to guild!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 AM

I have 3 of her books bought at thrift stores and I have no clue what she is doing. A local quilt store had her come in for a lecture and everyone loved it, I was not able to attend. Her quilts are beautiful. Never bought her ruler. I personally love anything Eleanor Burns has or does, she amazes me with her knowledge and innovations.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 AM

I took a class from one of her trainers. My blocks came out perfect. Some small waste of fabric, but no more than other methods. The key is placement of the ruler when cutting off the extra. My first attempts with it and with the Wonder Ruler were dismal until i learned the correct placement of the ruler. Some of her cutting options seem counter-intuitive. Good luck, when you find a method that works stick with it.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:50 AM

I bought her book, ruler, and the kit to do the Pony Express quilt a few years ago at our Quilter's Day Out. I haven't started it yet but just recently pulled it out. I'm hoping that since there are videos for each step of the quilt, I will be able to follow along. Otherwise, after looking through the book, I don't think I would attempt it. It does seem like a waste of fabric but since I follow Bonnie Hunter and make scrappy quilts, I don't feel so bad about that ;-) We shall see!! Has anyone made the Pony Express quilt?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:58 AM

Absolutely love it. Bought the rulers and books at a quilt show a few years ago where Jodi was demonstrating the rulers.