Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Square in a square

I'm with Tartan on the orange peel, but because I'm not that great at FMQ I do it using my walking foot. I do a gentle curve from one side of the quilt to the other, first vertically, then horizontally. It's very easy to manipulate your quilt sandwich to make these gentle curves, and because you're using a straight stitch you don't have to worry about the usual issues of stitch length and tension that you would with FMQ. I drew up a set of diagrams for you:
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    I'm with Tartan on the orange peel, but because I'm not that great at FMQ I do it using my walking foot. I do a gentle curve from one side of the quilt to the other, first vertically, then horizontally. It's very easy to manipulate your quilt sandwich to make these gentle curves, and because you're using a straight stitch you don't have to worry about the usual issues of stitch length and tension that you would with FMQ. I drew up a set of diagrams for you:
    Thanks. I like this. Will try it out.

Tartan, how do you do this in a continuous line? Do you move like a snake--weaving back and forth (or up and down), or do you make one hill after another (like in the tutorial that someone posted?) Are you using a free motion foot or are you using your walking foot? I would love to have more details. Thanks! Carolyn

Nice quilt.

Nice quilt.....

Blog Entries
    I like Tartan's quilting suggestion. The design is simple but effective.
    Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Attachment 445955One of my favourite but easy FMQ pattern us orange peel. I do it by drawing squares with chalk and then stitching between them in a continuous manner. Since you already have the grid (squares) you could use it to do the design. I will post a picture of some placemats I used it on. I drew in one square of the grid but I grid the whole placemat and can sew the whole design without stopping.
    My thoughts exactly tartan. It softens the edges and adds interest to a linear design.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Love your quilt! I second the motion to write in cursive on your quilt. My first quilt was "written" on. You already have the muscle memory for writing and that makes it a wonderful way to get accustomed to fmq and moving the quilt under the hopping foot.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

LyndaOH, thanks for the suggestion for making the orange peel. This makes more sense to me than flipping the quilt 3 times for one block.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I also think either diagonal or orange peel. I love the colors.
    Theresa

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast