Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square then quilt, or quilt then square? >

Square then quilt, or quilt then square?

Square then quilt, or quilt then square?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM

I tend to do things, shall we be kind and say differently. I try very hard to keep each block square. Then when they are together, I measure the quilt top and find a size that works. By that, I mean average height and width. I cut the borders to that exact measurement and make them fit. . . Maybe a it of easing or stretching. (I am talking 1/4 or 3/8" tops.) from there I sandwich the quilt, cut to size, put the the binding on and then quilt. They do come out square. Well, it works for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM

Gosh, I never thought to square AFTER quilting. Thought if it was squared up before quilting, it would just be alright. Now I will be more aware. I've always noticed that the corners all matched up when I folded it up after quilting and binding,so guess I've been lucky for a lot of years. Thanks for putting up the questions.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 PM

I always square up the quilt top first. I try to make sure blocks are square as I go. My LAQ said to make sure the top is square before quilting. If it is wonky, wavy, or uneven before you start to quilt, it will be the same afterwards... inho
Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
I always square up the quilt top first. I try to make sure blocks are square as I go. My LAQ said to make sure the top is square before quilting. If it is wonky, wavy, or uneven before you start to quilt, it will be the same afterwards... inho
............... actually if it is wonky, wavy, or uneven before you start to quilt, it's more likely to be even more so afer quilting!
For sure, it will NOT get better!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:37 PM

ok so if I measure my quilt top after it is all done and it is off by say a 1/2 inch at the top and the botton ..do you leave it?

I do square my blocks but sometimes my finished quilt is a little off ..what do you do cut that little bit off?
Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Here's the earlier thread on this same subject
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-opinion-squaring-up-quilting-table-runner-t200078.html

I square each block/piece as I go ... then it's minimal squaring at the end before quilting. And if needed, some more after quilting.

Same rationale as I gave in the other thread.
This is my method as well.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Are you all talking about squaring it up with a rotary cutter? Or blocking the quilt (damp spray?) to be sure all corners are 90 degrees? Or???