Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
square is too small, now what? >

square is too small, now what?

square is too small, now what?

Old 09-17-2016, 05:04 AM

Default square is too small, now what?

I'm a novice. I'm making my second quilt, an I spy quilt. I am starting to put the rows together and they don't fit. I measured it and one of my charms is 4 3/4 inches instead of 5". It's too much to ease in. I tried that. I decided to try to reduce the seams on the charm toward the bottom of the charm and see if I can fit it in, as I laid it out and the colors work where they are (I can't replace this color). Will it look wonky? Am I better off just to tear it all the way out and replace it with another light color?

I may run into this again, so I need a plan of action. I got many of these charms in a swap, so there may be others. (Now I know why the there are swaps for 4" charms.) I thought I had caught all those that were off, but obviously not.

This is one of those experience things - you learn from your mistakes. I'll not use swap charms again without measuring each and everyone of them.

bkay
Old 09-17-2016, 05:14 AM

I think you should just give that charm a small border. And, trim it if you have to, to size. I really doubt you'll notice it. I piece fabric together all the time. And, once you quilt it, you never really notice it. You'll know it's there. Just don't point it out. Just own whatever way you choose to fix it. And everyone else will go along with it. An I'SPY is a very forgiving quilt.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:56 AM

Maybe a border on two edges, the bottom and one side, so you don't lose too much of the focus fabric, and then trim to size.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

hmmmm, the row already sewn together is too short? some quilters get creative and just add a bit of the same color on the end. then where ever else it needs it .sprinkle the fixes around and they wont' be too noticeable. if everything isn't sewn into rows perhaps you can trim each block down to the smallest one. then everything would fit. just sit and think it over. i'm sure you will be able to work things out.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

If it's just one square, I'd pick it out and replace it.

I feel your frustration with the bad cuts you get in swaps. Everyone is at different levels of proficiency with both sewing and cutting... I stopped swapping I Spy squares because it is frustrating to send good and get back lousy. If you know who sent you the bad cuts, you should let the swap host know.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

​I wouldn't be happy until I picked it out and replaced it.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
If it's just one square, I'd pick it out and replace it.

I feel your frustration with the bad cuts you get in swaps. Everyone is at different levels of proficiency with both sewing and cutting... I stopped swapping I Spy squares because it is frustrating to send good and get back lousy. If you know who sent you the bad cuts, you should let the swap host know.
One of the reasons I quit swapping - - - -

What was really annoying - when I mentioned the issue to this one hostess - I was scolded for being too fussy!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:06 PM

You're all right. I won't be happy with it like it is. I'll pick it out and replace it. I wish I had something else lime green, though. Green not being my favorite color, I know I don't have anything that's lime green. Maybe yellow will work there.

Thanks,
bkay
Old 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Why not just piece around it and cut/square to the size you need with a similar scrap piece you have that would coordinate/blend with the rest. Or be bold and trim it in black to makeit pop.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:29 PM

we could help better with a pic.....but all suggestions are good