Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring a 9 patch and a Snowball block >

Squaring a 9 patch and a Snowball block

Squaring a 9 patch and a Snowball block

Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM

Default Squaring a 9 patch and a Snowball block

I recently completed a quilt top that was a combination of 9-patch and Snowball blocks. This is the first time that I tried squaring my blocks before sewing into rows. Loved the ease that my rows came together! However, I didn't square them properly, in that the corners of the triangles should have matched the corner of one of the 9-patches. But - it didn't. I have hopefully attached pictures to help.

What I did. I lined up the diagonal across my 9-patches. Couldn't figure out what measurement to line up on a vertical seam, gave up on that. Ending size of my block - 6-1/4 inches (technically that would be 5-3/4 with seam allowances for the outside edges added in). I made sure the diagonal was correct, the 1-1 on the square ruler was in the top right hand corner, and that the bottom and left edges were over the 6-1/4 inch lines on the ruler (wanted to take off roughly equally on all sides). Did the same on the Snowball blocks.

I believe that I needed to line up on a vertical seam - but in doing that it, wherever I put it, it seemed I would be taking a lot more off one side than the other.

What should I do the next time?

Dawn
Attached Thumbnails 9-patch-snowball-quilt.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by DawnFurlong; 01-17-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

The only person that is going to notice is you. The quilt top looks super to me. I try to sew my blocks as exact as possible so there is only a smidge to trim. There is a ruler called I think...the squaring up ruler, that is supposed to help keep the block centered while trimming. I have not tried it but it might be something to look into if it really bothers you.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

the blocks are correct- with snowball blocks the corners are not as large---do not meet in the middle-that would make a square in a square- the corners look to be the correct size for a snowball and they look good- no one knows you didn't plan it the way it is except you- anyone else will look at the quilt and find it to be a very nice quilt-
Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Sounds like you did the right thing. If you left yourself 1/2" to trim then it's 1/4 from first two sides and 1/4 from other two sides. When you lay your block on the mat to trim, lay it on point from yourself. Put your 1/1 point of the ruler at 3 o'clock, lining up diagonals like you did, and cut two sides before you move the ruler. Then turn the block end for end and trim the other two sides. That way you're not getting confused about which side you've already trimmed. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM

if this were me, the next time (this time, it looks great to me and I wouldn't have noticed anything off about it and still don't) I might draft the finished square as a paper-pieced block, that way I would sew on my lines and it would be how I wanted it. To repeat 8^)) your quilt is lovely
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM

I believe that you did the correct thing, even though it may not make sense to you. It looks really good. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM

Thank you. Actually, I am happy with it. And I wasn't totally sure if the corners of the triangle should match the edge of the 9-patch. I know it is a very basic quilt, but the first time I used triangles of any sort, and first time to square up my blocks.

It was just that reading on squaring up a block, there were references to lining up on the diagonal and on a vertical seam as well. Then there were other directions that talked about lining up on the vertical and making sure you could see the bottom and left edges over the measurement that you wanted your block to end up at (ie, 6-1/4). That made sense. In doing so I could set the ruler so that I was cutting off roughly the same amount from all sides.

The main thing I wanted to make sure of - was that I did this correctly. Because I want to try more blocks with different triangles (up the difficulty level), and should I need to square up my blocks again - I wanted to make sure that I didn't end up with unintended consequences! (if that makes sense) Nothing like being surprised if you cut off the edges of your block incorrectly - and then lines/seams don't match up as they should - ruining the effect of the pattern.

My ultimate goal though, is to not have to square up my blocks. Though I have to admit I liked starting with fresh cuts on my blocks when putting together my rows. I didn't have to work to ease anything in.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:56 PM

Well, I don't see a problem. It looks right to me and beautiful!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Your quilt looks FAB to me
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM

Lovely quilt. Don't see any problems from here.