Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Squaring dilema

Years ago when I started quilting, it was recommended to tear fabric to straighten....but it damages the fabric too much, and you can lose inches of fabric, so I haven't torn in years. I usually line the selvages up, then do my cuts. If a fabric seems too off grain, I do stretch it first before cutting.

If a fabric appears to be severely off grain I may do the dreaded "follow one thread all the way across and cut beside it" that we had to do in Home Ec class. Then I can get the grain straight from there.

I worry about lining the 6 X 24" ruler on the fold. I find I don't have a problem with "elbows" when I do this. If one of my horizontal lines are lined up evenly with the fold it does not matter if the selvage is or not because the selvage will match after making the first clean cut.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    I don't tear. I starch my fabric heavily, press then cut. I try to match the selvages as
    best as I can to make that first cut.
    This is a fabulous idea! I've just started starching for applique and never thought about doing the blocks!

It drives my crazy when fabric off the bolt is so distorted - makes me wash it just so that I can feel that it is straightened out. I don't think it matters that much in quilting, but my years or garment sewing just ingrained (a pun!) that in me.

Quote Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
    When cotton yardage is rolled onto a bolt, the weave is distorted to more significantly off grain. When it is washed, the sizing is removed and cotton when wet, looses memory so it can relax into a more accurate straight of grain. After drying there can be a difference of 1/2-3" that the selvages will not line up. As said above, find the half way between selvedges, fold and hang from the fold to allow the fabric to find it's grain. Don't tear, it does damage fabric. Allign a wide ruller on the fold to make it perpendicular to the fold and make the first cut. Leaving the fabric in place, measure from that first cut.
    Dittto that!!!

Blog Entries
    I agree 100% with Prism.

Blog Entries
    I sewed clothing for years and we always "lined up the fabric" by pre-washing [which also removes residue, which will eventually gum-up your machine insides], and then "hung"it from the fold until the selvedges met and the fabric lay smoothly on the table. Starching will put body back into cut pieces, as will STEAMING not just pressing the fabric. Carpentry and quilting are the same rule "measure twice and cut once". Takes time, but it is worth it. [Aligning grain lines was only necessary in loose weave or heavy material...ie. drapes or sheers]

I wish I could help you but I struggle with that also.

I put the selvages together and if there is a wobble at the bottom I scoot over the back or front selvage until it all hangs straight. Then I place it on my cutting board and very carefully fold it in half . I then put my 8 1/2 ruler along the fold and my 6 x 12 ruler along the raw edge. When they butt up perfectly I remove the 8 1/2 ruler and make my cut. I try to make as skinny a cut as possible but sometimes the fabric is so out of wack I have to cut of more than I would like.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast