Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Squaring dilema

The only time I tear fabric is when I need L-O-N-G lengthwise strips for sashing or borders. Other than that, I match up the selveges, and like others have said, the cut, or even torn edges across the width don't always match. But tearing blocks will most certainly distort them.

tear off the selvage edge, never try to find grain by the selvege edge or by stretching fabric. tearing should be enough to get you square, though you could still use the two ruler method and use your torn edge as your guide.

Blog Entries
    Very good advice Prism. Thanks!

I would never tear cross grain or across the width of the fabric. It's not surprising that fabric torn that way is uneven. I tear only lengthwise to make borders, and allow enough in the torn width to trim in case the edges are too ragged. Even so, sometimes fabric will behave in weird ways. All depends on quality of the weaving, I believe, which really translates into the quality of the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    When ironing my fabric I match the selvage edges and adjusting until the fabric hangs straight at the folded edge. The cut edges may not match. Once the fabric is ironed I use the two ruler method to square the fabric.
    This was how I was taught to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    the fabric must "hang" straight and then you meet the selvages, not match them. the fold is the important thing, then cut the end straight and go from there.
    Agreed - no matter what you do the fabric must hang straight

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all this information. I am not an expert at quilting, but I have noted that being square is a better "whole" idea, than trying to make it a 'perfect" one. Being 1/4 inch off is miraculous from my standpoint!! I would be thrilled to get this close sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by vwhit24 View Post
    Thanks for all this information. I am not an expert at quilting, but I have noted that being square is a better "whole" idea, than trying to make it a 'perfect" one. Being 1/4 inch off is miraculous from my standpoint!! I would be thrilled to get this close sometimes.
    I used to think that I had to settle for being "close". But after watching some videos, and reading this forum, I have discovered that with a little extra effort, with cutting, sewing and ironing (pressing, not ironing) I have gotten much better. The extra effort up front will save time in the long run. Now when I finish a block it is square and not skewed to one side. Still not "perfect" but getting closer.

On grain isn't very important in quilt making. Make sure the fold hangs straight, fold in half again and cut.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    the fabric must "hang" straight and then you meet the selvages, not match them. the fold is the important thing, then cut the end straight and go from there.
    This is what I have been told too - not always easy, but gotta keep working at it - more like working in the center with the selvages and fold, then work it to the ends.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3