Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring Up a Large Quilt >

Squaring Up a Large Quilt

Squaring Up a Large Quilt

Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 AM

Default Squaring Up a Large Quilt

Could anyone please direct me to good directions on squaring up a large quilt? Squaring up a block is one thing but when it gets larger than that and a whole quilt, I find it very difficult. I'm sure there must be a good way to do this. Any advice is very appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:08 AM

I will be watching this one. I usually square up blocks before putting together and then in the putting together process really check strip cuts and make sure I have the correct seams. I will be watching close for any tips and tricks
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6k1U6wAqz0

Also, if you Google "Square Up Quilt" you'll find several blogs and other posts regarding tips and tricks for doing this.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
LMB

I have a small home and even my floor space is limited. I found this tut and it has worked well for me.
http://naptimequilter.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html.
Good luck.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I watched the tutorial and I do it about the same. The only caution I would say is to make sure to do one whole side with rulers before cutting anything. You can get a perfect square but have the design off if you don't make sure that the square you are cutting is centered. I work on the floor with my knee pads on. I lay my quilt flat and put a square in each corner on one side and connect the 2 squares with my other long rulers. This allows me to make sure that by squaring up one side, I still have the top and bottom edge lined up so that I don't cut off any points when I do the next side. I also use my chalk pencil to mark the cutting line all around the quilt before cutting anything off. It is much easier to hide the chalk line in the binding if you have goofed. At this point I measure with a tape to check if the quilt is the same size top to bottom and left to right. If everything looks good I then proceed to cut with my rotary cutter and ruler and pushing my rotary mat along under the quilt as I go.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Thanks for sharing the websites. I never thought of this before so I think this will be a great help.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:26 AM

THANKS so much for the info on how to square the quilt I will be leaving the 1/4 inch
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I put the cutting mat on one end of the dining room table and one quilt corner on the mat with the quilt smoothed on the table and overhang folded back. Generally, I measure what the border to border measurements are before I trim anything. Because I mostly use geometrics, I align the long ruler with one of the lines and then I trim. When I'm at the end of the mat, I slide the mat - realign the ruler and keep trimming. This has always worked for me.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 PM

Hmmm. These seem to be two different things here. The youtube video is how I have been taught to square up a quilt, large or small. To actually get it square, you align the ruler with a seam at the corner, usually the border but the seam of a block would work too. Measure, tug, measure and trim. It seems to me that the picture tutorial is simply trimming away the batting and backing. I'm not sure that actually squares it up.

But then, I could be wrong.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by totosmom View Post
Hmmm. These seem to be two different things here. The youtube video is how I have been taught to square up a quilt, large or small. To actually get it square, you align the ruler with a seam at the corner, usually the border but the seam of a block would work too. Measure, tug, measure and trim. It seems to me that the picture tutorial is simply trimming away the batting and backing. I'm not sure that actually squares it up.

But then, I could be wrong.
I'm thinking the same thing. Adding a quarter inch along each side doesn't square an uneven quilt in my mind.
Someone "set me straight"!!!