Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring Up Larger Blocks - 22" >

Squaring Up Larger Blocks - 22"

Squaring Up Larger Blocks - 22"

Old 02-28-2010, 09:19 AM

Here is a 22" blk I would love to make -

http://www.quilterscache.com/I/Inter...ocksBlock.html

However, I am not sure when you should square up a log cabin quilt. Do you do it each time you sew a complete 4 rows around? At the end?

My biggest sq is 12" is there a larger square I should get?

PLEASE HELP
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

That is a very nice block. I'm not sure what you mean by squaring up. If you mean checking the dimensions of the block, then I agree that's important and should be done frequently (unless you're one of the fortunate few who have totally mastered the 1/4 inch seam). If you mean trimming the sides to make it square, then you shouldn't need to do that.

They do make larger squares. I was at Fabric Depot in Portland OR recently and saw one that was huge - I think about 27" square. It would be a nice rule to have, but I don't think it's an absolute requirement.

With a square log cabin block, I use the directions that Judy Martin advises in her log cabin book. Starch the fabric before cutting. Cut the strips along the length of the fabric whenever possible so there is less stretching. Cut the patches to size, and then sew with a scant 1/4 inch seam. Press each block after every seam. I check the size of the block frequently as I sew. I do not trim any fabric away, but I will take off a log and re-sew it if I find that I didn't sew a straight seam.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 AM

I square log cabin blocks (and log cabin variations) each time I complete 4 rows around. My largest square ruler is 22". I don't use it often, but it's nice to have when I need it.

On other block patterns, I check the size each time I add a large or intricate piece. It's the only way to make sure your block is going to be the right size when it's finished. If you wait until your block is finished to square it, you have to take the block completely apart and redo it if the size is incorrect.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM

By the way, I really like that pattern. Are you going to try it?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 AM

What a great pattern!!!

To answer your question, I "square up" my log cabin blocks after every single strip I sew on. It is more labor intensive, but I do get fabulous results.

My largest square ruler is 20 1/2". I love it! They are not cheap---but my sweet husband gave me mine as a Christmas gift one year.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:30 AM

nice pattern
Old 02-28-2010, 07:04 PM

I am thinking about either doing that one of this one

http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RomanStripeBlock.html

But at the moment I am working on a quilted called the Red Herring (http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RedHerringsBlock.html) -Which is causing me to see RED

I am a victim of quilter challenge at the moment - Can't seem to fold the paper lines straight, sew them straight, iron correctly, rip out a seam without drawing blood, etc.

The 6" squares are floppy without the paper on them - Stitched the 1st 12" blk together incorrectly - had already removed some of the paper before I realised it. I'm thinking of starching them some more.

In the middle of all this, I (gently) snapped my husbands head off after his 3rd interruption - but in my defense I told him I was sorry right away - he looked like a deer in headlights- Oh well, I think I will leave every alone for today (done enough damage) tomorrow will be another day to fix todays creatiions

Thanks for all your help
Old 03-01-2010, 03:03 PM

I got a 16 1/2" square last year in Paducah, Kentucky at the AQS quilt show. I'm going to look for a bigger one this year. I've looked on the internet for larger ones and haven't been able to find them. I think I paid about $25 for the size I have.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM

I have read on other forums that quilters go to Home Depot or Lowes or neighborhood hardware stores and get them to cut plexiglas to the measurments needed. Much less expensive and you could use a very fine line marker to put some lines or numbers where needed. I would at least do the corner to corner lines to help square up. You may just need a little sliver off at the corners. Lovely patterns. Good luck.