Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring up quilt blocks...or entire quilt? >

Squaring up quilt blocks...or entire quilt?

Squaring up quilt blocks...or entire quilt?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 PM

In theory we shouldn't have to square up blocks. But in reality, most of the time I have something off just a little, so I often find myself squaring up (or trimming a side or two) of some of my blocks to try to have even, smooth,flat seams between the blocks.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

Yes, theoretically, you should not have to square them up but I check to make sure they are all the same size. If you don't solve the problem now with the blocks, you will most likely have a wonky top. You might want to mark your acrylic square with lines where the seam should be: that might just help you make any tweaks to get your blocks align correctly.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:56 AM

My first method is to square up as I go. That keeps the block sizes "honest". Any ripping and/or re-sewing can be done before I go to the next block. If I wait until I get all the blocks sewn and then try to square up, it's a lot more time consuming and difficult. I lose points and patience. That's when I move onto the "fudging" method.

For some reason I cannot keep items that have a lot of bias square. I am going to try the starch method. If my HST's are precut triangles, then every single one of them has to be squared up carefully, or I have a mess!

When I have blocks that are reasonably square, then I just start fudging....working in the excess on each block by putting the larger block on the bottom and pulling the top to help make it fit. Pins help because you can stagger the excess fabric. I only get "puckers" if I try to work the excess out without pinning. Note: On a 12 inch block, I can't comfortably work in more than 1/4 to 3/8 inch extra. It will bell out and look like a pregnant block if I am not careful. Does this make for a wonky quilt? Sometimes, but I just don't sweat the "small stuff" and add a border(s). Sometimes more than one.

I am my own quilter, so I can work in a little extra on a top if I am careful, but you just can not quilt out all the piecing mistakes, but who cares? After it's washed, it's all krinkly anyway. The idea is to enjoy our craft, not agonize over it.

My quilts are fun, utility, quilts that are meant to be used. If you are going to enter in a show, then a lot more precision is required and I'm not willing to put myself into that much of a pressure category.

Edited to add: I find that if I add the larger blocks randomly all over the top before I start the easing (fudging) in sewing, they don't show up as much as if I try to put them all in a row or column. Also, remember, not everyone is going to be there with a tape measure to make sure you aren't 1/2 inch difference from one side to the other. It's just us wanting our work to be "Perfect."

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-01-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 AM

Hi, Margaret -

If I'm understanding right, you can't trim the larger blocks because you will endanger the points. Is it possible that you can trim a side without points? (not sure how your blocks look).

If some of your sides are just slightly short, you can compensate for that by not matching the adjoining block edges exactly when you sew them together (drop the short side lower). You will just have a slightly smaller seam allowance for that piece. I usually put white chalk on the offending side as a reminder during assembly.

I don't know that I've seen a hunter's star with sashing, but now might be a good time to find out if it will work. A narrow border of the required size for each block can solve a lot of problems.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 08-01-2014, 08:52 AM

I realized last night that there is no way I can straighten all these blocks - every time I unsew and re-sew, the pieces stretch more. Thanks to all for the "fudging" advice - I want this to look good for my son and his girlfriend, not for the quilt police! I think even if I do have a few pieces that don't match perfectly they will be amazed at my prowess! Anyway, these 16 blocks aren't the whole quilt, just the center, but I need to get something turned in for our teacher's display. After I get them back, I'm going to put on lots of borders and a few extra blocks that I can finish at my leisure.

Thank you all for being a helping and caring community!

Margaret Ford
Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 AM

I square up each component of a block as I go, if needed. I find the best way to square up blocks/components is to put the center of your ruler on the center of the block/component. Usually this results in taking only slivers off any given side. Sometimes requires alot of turning of the piece but less likely to trim off points that way. Even after all that, sometimes you just have to fudge!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

If you can ease the blocks together and the result lays flat then you shouldn't have any problems. I did not start squaring up my blocks until well after my first few quilts were done. I do square up blocks and the quilt. In your case, it sounds like even squaring up the quilt would lose some points. Simply start by measuring the quilt top. Sometimes we surprise ourselves and things just fall into place.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I trim each block and then after quilting I check and trim again if needed.
peace
Old 08-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
I usually square each block as I make it. As for sewing bias edges, I heavily starch my fabric (2/3 Sta Flo to 1/3 water) and find that makes sewing bias pieces easy.
This is exactly what I do, too. The starch is a lifesaver!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:33 PM

I use spray starch and steam the block back into submission. Then ease what you need to. After starching and steaming, the block should be a little closer to the size they should be at. I hope you get these blocks together. Hunter's star is such a pretty pattern.