Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
squaring up >

squaring up

squaring up

Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 AM

For squaring up purposes, how much bigger do you usually make your squares and then trim them down? I would appreciate your help, for I can't seem to make my blocks the same size doing it with the dimensions the pattern calls for no matter how I try to make the accurate 1/4" seams. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Today's QB newsletter that discussed this issue.

http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/mag...iclenewsletter

Originally Posted by fatnsassy
For squaring up purposes, how much bigger do you usually make your squares and then trim them down? I would appreciate your help, for I can't seem to make my blocks the same size doing it with the dimensions the pattern calls for no matter how I try to make the accurate 1/4" seams. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fatnsassy
Some blocks do not lend themselves to making them larger for squaring up. Some do!

If it's something like HST/QST then yes you can easily make them larger and trim off. It's easier to trim a little more, than to have just a thread or two to trim.

Really it's up to you.

A couple of hints that might help your dilemma .... 1/4" seam foot, if you don't have one and when trimming have a a sharp rotary cutter (too often we leave it too long between changing the blades)
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by donnajean
Today's QB newsletter that discussed this issue.
http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/mag...iclenewsletter
That's interesting ... :? the newletter I received today was about washing and caring for quilts. You'd think we'd all get the same. :?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Many blocks cannot be squared up at the end, you will lose your points, seams won't match up to your other blocks, etc.

Squaring up a nine patch for example, makes the outer blocks smaller than the inner.
Squaring up blocks with flying geese in them will usually make you lose your points.
Squaring up a drunkards path block can make it difficult to line up the circles when you go to sew them together.

You need to be careful too when squaring up your blocks, taking care to remove extra fabric evenly off of all sides. Just removing it from two, may leave you with a lop sided looking block. The same with taking more off of two and less off of the other...

Take a good look at the block while it is under the ruler. Look at what the final appearance will be after the cuts. You may want to resew a few of the seams instead :wink:

But, there are some blocks/patterns that are specifically made to be squared up as you go. :D

It is usually better to try and be accurate with each component of the block, fixing them as you go. It will make putting them all together easier too :D:D:D
Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM

I got a newsletter about sharpening pins. This is funny. I thought we all got the same one..... guess not.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MIJul
I got a newsletter about sharpening pins. This is funny. I thought we all got the same one..... guess not.
Does seem somewhat odd! Doesn't it?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Not all blocks can be squared up. You need to try and figure out where you are adding or loosing dimensions. try and measure each subsection of the block as you go. Make sure that you really, really know where that darned 'scant' 1/4 inch is. Don't rely on your foot or plate markings.
Here's a tutorial on how to check your seam:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89997-1.htm

Also, you need to make sure that your cutting is accurate. Use the SAME ruler for the entire quilt and if that's not possible, use the same brand of ruler.

And if all else fails, get the book "Setting Solutions". She gives lots of ideas on setting blocks of different sizes!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

Something else that can cause the need for squaring ... are you stretching the fabric? cut on the bias? ironing instead of pressing?
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks for all of your help. I guess I just need to practice. Again, thanks.