Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stabilizer Advice

Stabilizer Advice

I'm doing machine embroidery for the first time to quilt a top. I have a Baby Lock Ellure machine. The manual does not say what stabilizer to use. I want to use a sticky stabilizer since it would be hard to hoop (too thick). Has anyone done this before and what kind of stabilizer did you use? TIA.

Blog Entries
    What all are you stitching on? Just the top? the top and the batting? whole sandwich????
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

The whole sandwich. The embroidery will be the quilting.

If you use sticky stab, are you prepared to spend DAYS picking it out of the embroidery? I would suggest a water-soluable...
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I agree. Sticky back would be a nightmare. I would a medium to heavy tear away or a WS. I only attempted this once and had a hard time keeping the quilt from weighing down the machine. I had much better luck doing individual blocks, then joining them after. I just hooped the backing then pinned on the batting and top. Having said this, there are lots of folks who successfully do this all the time. There's a thread on this forum devoted to ME you can check there for tips.
    Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
    I'm doing machine embroidery for the first time to quilt a top. I have a Baby Lock Ellure machine. The manual does not say what stabilizer to use. I want to use a sticky stabilizer since it would be hard to hoop (too thick). Has anyone done this before and what kind of stabilizer did you use? TIA.
    I do embroider through all three layers. Have done some full size quilts with this method. Open the hoop wide and in the beginning it takes some strength to push it in. I don't know your machine. but I need to use at least the 5x7 hoop to do this. Make sure there is no drag on your quilt. Keep the quilt puddled, so the machine can run freely.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that you don't need stabilizer, when you use the three layer method. There is enough already.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice.