Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stablizing all over fmq? >

Stablizing all over fmq?

Stablizing all over fmq?

Old 03-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

It helps a lot if you heavily starch top and backing before layering. This stabilizes the fabric so it is much less likely to stretch and distort while machine quilting. I like to use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water on the backing along with several layers of spray starch (drying in-between layers) on the top. I have not had a problem with 505 holding when using cotton batting, even when the top and backing are heavily starched.

A different option is to have a long-armer use water-soluble thread in a meander pattern to baste your quilt. Jamie Wallen does this for some of his customers. He said that a meander is much better than the more common cross-hatch pattern for this kind of basting, as it results in less distortion of the sandwich.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:00 PM

I can't see the tucks. My guess is they'll disappear in the first wash. The other thing I find sometimes helps prevent little tucks near the edge of the quilt is to baste the edge of the quilt within 1/4" from the edge. I remove my basting stitches once the whole thing is quilted, but I know some people leave them in since they're hidden by the binding.

I do the basting by hand & it takes very little time, but really makes a big difference in not having any tucks or pleats in the quilt back near the edge. I can't tell from the photo if you did that -- apologies if you have basting stitches in there.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:02 AM

the puckers must be small... I couldn't put my finger on them so I'm sure they'll blend in when washed. I love the fan FMQ and your fabrics have a wonderful cottage feel.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:41 AM

I appreciate this discussion very much. I am going to get some water soluble thread for basting my next quilt. I do a lot of STID to stabilize my quilts but sometimes feel it limits motifs I quilt into it because it is obvious on the back. It is not very obvious on the front because it is in the ditch. I want to try this idea.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:19 AM

I use Washable School Glue to sandwich the top, back and batt. The sandwiched quilt handles like one piece of fabric and I don't get puckers. Then the glue washes out with warm water and a little soap.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:38 AM

jill, this is so pretty! I'm sure the puckers will "disappear" when it is washed.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:28 AM

Gorgeous quilt and wonderful quilting on a DSM. I too, surmise it was the bias quilting that stretched. Lots of good advice here for future fixes.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:45 PM

Just wanted to let you know that your quilt (and quilting) is lovely! Those soft, pretty florals are wonderful!
Old 03-24-2016, 02:06 PM

Your quilt is lovely.If I have a quilt I am particularly worried about shifting, I baste it with water soluble thread. The one from Superior Threads is great in both bobbin and top. Sometimes I just out big wavy lines across the entire quilt, 6 - 8" across, sometimes I do an almost stitch in the ditch on the blocks ("almost" because I don't worry about a little wiggle since it will all wash out anyway). Then I take out all the pins, if I have used them, since the sandwich is nicely put together. I am going to do my first Baptist fan quilting on a lap quilt I made ages ago. I just got it spray basted and stabilized with water soluble thread. I hadn't thought of the fact I would be quilting bias lines, so I am glad I did it!Pam
Old 03-25-2016, 02:35 AM

Great info, Pam! I will order some thread for my next all over quilting project! Please post pics when your quilt is done!