Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please >

Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please

Stack and slash - 5 pointed star - 11 colors - help please

Old 10-20-2009, 04:13 PM

I know what you are talking about! but I don't see how it would work with a five point star. I have my program playing with it though so maybe some time next week I'll figure it out. lol
Old 10-20-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by sno
Thank you for posting...
I know it is confusing..and cutting the 11 fabrics first into 11 pieces would ceretainly work..but then instead of working with 11 fabrics with just one cut at a time I would have 100's of pieces..which when then be a piece quilt and not a slash and stack...
I wish I could just find the pattern...,
but until then I may just have figure out another project to do...
55 pieces :wink: I get wanting to avoid lots of pieces, but you can still stack and slash them, and it won't make your brain hurt to lay the things out, rather then figuring out this method which seems to be frustrating

Okay, well, can you avoid moving the fabric until it's a free standing one piece? If the pieces were #-ed 1-11, don't move the top 1, 2, 3, etc fabrics until piece 1 is cut by itself. Move nothing. Then when piece 2 is cut by itself, move the top piece. Then when piece 3 is alone, move the top 2. If you move a bigger piece when, say, 4 and 5 are still connected and not cut, then you would need to also move one more piece when 5 is cut
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Sno - I borrowed this image from the link provided earlier. I added numbers.

Tell me how they are divided up after each cut. Please type as simply as possible, and don't move any fabrics yet. I can figure this out! I've walked students through word problems, I can figure this out dangit! :!:

So from you, I want something like:

1st cut: 1-8 on one side, 9-11 on other
2nd cut: 1-5, 6-8, 9-11

That way, I can see that you have a piece, after the first cut, that will eventually turn into 1-8, and after the second cut 9-11. Then I see your 2nd cut breaks up 1-8 so 1-5 are now on 1 piece of fabric, and 6-8 are on a 2nd, with 9-11 not doing anything

If you can understand what I said, and give me that, I think I can tell you what to do :D

And again, don't start moving fabrics yet! I just care about what each cut will give you.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-19605.jpe  
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 PM
sno

[quote][size=18][color=red][size=18]I know what you are talking about! but I don't see how it would work with a five point star. I have my program playing with it though so maybe some time next week I'll figure it out. lol

THANK YOU.....I now don't feel like an such an idiot...
Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
sno

It didn't even occur to me, that I could be cutting it wrong..
By looking at this diagram..the first cut would be where fabric 1 is at the bottom, and fabric 2 is at the top.
As I look at the pattern I am now trying to figure out the second cut...I just wanted you to know that my cuts where different, but again I have no pattern...
A BIG BIG THANK YOU...
We can work through this!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by sno
It didn't even occur to me, that I could be cutting it wrong..
By looking at this diagram..the first cut would be where fabric 1 is at the bottom, and fabric 2 is at the top.
As I look at the pattern I am now trying to figure out the second cut...I just wanted you to know that my cuts where different, but again I have no pattern...
A BIG BIG THANK YOU...
We can work through this!!!
That's just one pattern, not necessarily the right one :)

As long as when you move the fabrics you keep them in order (so top always goes to the bottom, and if blue is right before red, blue always stays right before red, all you need to worry about is that each top fabric is different. So don't worry about the middle top, middle bottom, etc. If you see in a pile that blue is on top when you already have a blue on top, move him to the bottom. Oh there's red, now he's on top, but you have a different piece with red on top, so move him to the bottom. Now purple's on top, oh great, he's new, leave him.

Just as long as you keep moving the piles like that, it should work with different colors. Since they're staying in the same order, if blue is on top, then the pile next to it with red on top will ALWAYS have different fabrics in the 11 blocks all the way through. Does that make sense? Try it that way, where you just keep moving tops until you get a new one and it should work
Old 10-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Here is a question for you, are you wanting to construct it like THIS http://patchwork-of-mini-grey.blogsp...-tutorial.html minus the little white sashing, and with a star instead of just a nine patch?

But using the same concept to cut and sew, cut and sew, cut and sew?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
sno

YES..YES...YES...
I have actually made that quilt!!
And it was after I made that quilt...that I saw the pattern of which I am now seeking..there was a quilt store in Dodge Nebraska that had the pattern...
The quilt store in Dodge Nebraska is now closed.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM

was it a commercial pattern?

In a book? leaflet? hand out?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
sno

They also had it on display...
You know now that I am thinking about...they had 12 blocks in the quilt..so there must of been 12 pieces of fabric used, but only 11 pieces of fabric in each block...hmmm...