Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stain removal on old linens

Blog Entries

stain removal on old linens

I am wanting to make a quilt using old embroidered table linens. Of course on a patch of eresser scarves, table cloths, runners, etc. I went to the local D.A.V. last week and found quite a few but all had a stain some where on the item. Of course right on a spot of nice stitching. I also got some nice tea napkins with cutwork, shadow embroidery an other nice stitching that no one does any more. The same day went to a garage sale of a 100 yr old woman who had tubs and tubs of this kind of stuff, selling for 25 cents to a dollar each. I tried soaking some of the items in Biz but didn't get any change. Then soaked them in Oxi clean and didn't notie any change. Does anyone know of a method other than lemonjuice,salt and sunshine? I don't have a place to lay anything outside. Thanks for any help.

try bluing powder and then dry in the sun. There are some other commercial stain removers but depending on how set the stain is, it may just come back in a few months.

Try googling cream of tartar and removing stains from old linens. I can't remember where I saw that old time method, but I hear it works and is safe to remove those old stains.

I did find a great article on this subject ....

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Basic-Care-o...1831076/g.html
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 10-12-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I was just in a vintage shop and bought a package of "sodium percarbonate" or something like that. I'm not home now, or I would get the exact name. The lady who packages it said it is good to clean vintage fabrics. Apparently is is a granular form of hydrogen peroxide. maybe this could help you.
    Alyce

I bought this item in one of those chain linen stores that closed and haven't noticed it for sale anywhere else. It is called Linen Wash by LeBlanc located in Seminole, FL.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Soak in dishwasher powder overnight.
    aka Gale

Some stains won't come out - they have been there 30 years or more! A friend gave me a bunch of old linens, wound up tossing some. Maybe you can embroider a flower over a spot?

I have not tried this personally but others have stated the product "Grandma's Secret Spot Remover" works very well. You can get it at Hancock's and probably Joanne's.
    June

Blog Entries
    I would try Retro Clean. http://www.retroclean.com . I believe it uses the "sodium percarbonate" or whatever it is that was mentioned earlier. Their blog has some photos showing the process:
    http://retroclean.com/retroclean/blog/

Have you tried a Biz or Oxi soak with HOT water? Some of their ingredients do not activate below 120F. You could put everything into a big stockpot and bring it to temperature on top of the stove, remove from heat and let it soak overnight. It's worth a try!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast