Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Star Spin Quilt Pattern >

Star Spin Quilt Pattern

Star Spin Quilt Pattern

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM

In defense of ghost rider: she/he is not being the Quilt Police - just reminding everyone of US copyright law. When people talk about "shar" and"give" with quotes the meaning is pretty clear. ghost rider and others kindly directed the person to free tuts or sites to purchase the pattern.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
In defense of ghost rider: she/he is not being the Quilt Police - just reminding everyone of US copyright law. When people talk about "shar" and"give" with quotes the meaning is pretty clear. ghost rider and others kindly directed the person to free tuts or sites to purchase the pattern.
I'll remember not to use quotes around words next time........meaning ......it's pretty sad when we have to find ourselves being selective in the words or punctuation that we use......meaning...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Quotes or not, sharing is sharing and that takes money from the persons that design and sell the patterns. Would you like to spend hours coming up with a very unique pattern only to have people share it and deprive you of sales that you would have had. It is the same as stealing, no matter how you cut it. Any time you use a pattern, return it or not you are taking sales from that designer. Believe me it costs a lot to get a pattern to the point of selling it. Also, I'm not the Quilt Police, just someone this has happened to more than once and I've pretty much quite making my patterns availabe to the public, I just design, make and enjoy my own. Been there done that, bought the T-shirt.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 PM

Well,I guess I will throw in my 2 cents worth.Sometimes my BQF and I can`t afford to buy 2 patterns that we see ,so I will buy 1 and she will buy 1 then we share at our Quilt-N-Chat or guild meeting.We don`t copy,we just work together.I would think that the designer and shop would rather we bought 2 patterns together than NONE at all.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM

It is not that hard to see a quilt and figure out how to make one similiar. Maybe I'll write a book someday on how to do that....want to buy one? Seriously.........I really think everyone should just lighten up about it, personally. If you look hard enough any new pattern out there is based on something that has already been created, pretty much.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Administrator

copyright law is serious business for serious and legitimate reasons.

we do not permit members to exploit this community to ask for or to offer bootleg copies of any copyrighted material.

as i have been unable to track down any version of the pattern for the Star Spin quilt pattern in the public domain, we must consider it fully protected.

Ghostrider drew a completely reasonable and predictable conclusion. She was correct to post what she did.

Not all laws facilitate personal convenience. Those are the breaks.