Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Star thread >

Star thread

Star thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 AM

Default Star thread

I just bought Star multi-color machine quilting and craft thread 30 wt. I plan on using it to piece and machine quilt on my DSM. Has anyone used this and if so, am interested in your opinions. Thanks so much!

Sue
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Any 30wt thread would be too thick for accurate piecing. I like to use 50wt 2-ply or 60wt or even finer thread for piecing. A 30wt thread will show up well for quilting. If you want your quilting to sink into the fabric and be less noticeable, you would go for a finer weight thread; 30wt is for when you want your quilting lines to really show in the finished quilt.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Prism. For me it would be too thick to piece with, I usually use 50 wt. It would probably be OK for machine quilting as long as your design didn't have any areas where you needed to stitch over previous stitches.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM

Do all brands of thread use the same weight chart? Like is it safe to say that with all brands of thread the higher the weight the finer the thread?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
Do all brands of thread use the same weight chart? Like is it safe to say that with all brands of thread the higher the weight the finer the thread?
I believe that if you are comparing 100% cotton threads and the number is followed by "wt" as in 60wt, then you should be safe that different brands will be comparable and that the higher the number the finer the thread. I know that some threads are labeled No. 50 or #50 and this is not the same as 50 wt. Then there's tex. I have seen this used, but don't have a clue!
All the brands I have seem to use the "wt" index.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

It's quite confusing. Here is a link to a Superior Threads article:
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...-measurements/

For threads measured in wt (which is really a length measurement, according to ST), a higher number means a finer thread.

For threads measured in Tex (which is really a weight measurement, according to ST), a higher number means a thicker thread.

That's about as much as my brain can wrap itself around.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

yes- the higher the wt the finer the thread- 100 wt thread (often silk or monofilament) is very fine thread- 12 wt thread is almost string. often people doing general sewing/piecing use a 40-60 wt thread- 30 wt may be used for heavy sewing (making denim pants) heavier wt threads are used for home dec projects and some decorative applications. some of us use 60-100 wt threads most of the time. for more information on threads visit 'Superior Threads' they have charts showing the different types of threads, their different weights, what they are best used for and what needles to use with them- it is important to use the correct size/type of needle for the different types/weights of threads so you avoid fraying/breaking threads. as for the 'Star Thread' I've used star threads a few times- not for piecing - but for some general sewing/ kids clothes, purses/totes. my (most used) machine does not like it- but my old vintage Singers accept it ok.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM

I've used all cotton Star thread for piecing, but mine is all 40 weight. If I use it in my Serenade I can't use the thread cutter feature, because the cut thread will whip out of the needle and disappear into the top of the machine. The thread cutter works best with specific brands of thread, and not this one.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM

Thanks to everyone for your comments. This thread is evidently size 50, 30 wt. It is very confusing. An employee at a quilt shop recommended this and she knew I was going to piece with it. Guess I will piece with something else and just use the 30 wt for quilting.

thanks and happy quilting.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Star is not known for quality but rather economic. High quality thread, Superior, Aurifil, etc. has sticker shock for many quilters, especially new quilters. But in my thinking, if Im going to put $ into fabric, sweat, etc. then I want it to be all quality and that includes thread. Star is very linty, thick and takes up too much space in the seam which in the end results in inaccurate seams. Just my opinion. Not expecting everyone to do the same. Good quilt stores usually carry and recommend quality thread. I dont remember seeing Star in a quilt store. Maybe I missed it. Ive seen it at Joanns and maybe walmart. I get most of my thread online. There are ways of getting quality thread for a better price. Its also hard for stores to carry a complete line of thread because the choices are huge. Normally I only buy neutrals for piecing. Black, white, off white and gray and sometimes red. Ive bever felt I needed to match thread for piecing with the fabric.

Last edited by snipforfun; 08-30-2013 at 04:45 PM.