Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch.  Is it all equal? >

Starch. Is it all equal?

Starch. Is it all equal?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I don't believe this is true, I think it is starch. The MSDS sheet for Best Press says it's in the "starch family". I think they clarify the starch to make it clear; add perfumes, dyes, and a surfactant to make it absorb quicker; and market it in specialty stores like quilt and fabric shops instead of the grocery store. They can call it an "alternative" because it gives us a choice over the standard starches we've been using for years.
You may be right. The homemade recipes that mimic Mary Ellen's Best Press are basically vodka and water. Vodka is made from fermented grains, which means the base is organic. Technically that classifies it as a starch. However, if you compare the pressing characteristics of Best Press to sizing and starch, it much more closely resembles sizing.

The marketing of Best Press is ambiguous. I have a bottle here that says "The Clear Starch Alternative". That could mean different things -- for example (1) that it is a clear starch instead of a white starch, or (2) that it is clearly an alternative to starch (ergo, not starch), or (3) that it is an alternative to starch that happens to be clear. I never even thought of the first meaning until you brought it up.

Maybe it's in-between. An organically-based sizing.........

Edit: Should add that I have a bottle of Best Press here that was given to me about a year ago. I haven't used it, but it is more than half empty from evaporation. I think that is because of the alcohol in it. Spray starch, Sta-Flo, and starches mixed from powders do not typically contain alcohol and also don't evaporate. So, for me, it is difficult to classify Best Press as a starch; it acts much more like a sizing.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-06-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I get peeved when someone says don't buy this or use this because it's too expensive. Maybe a new car but starch?
I can understand what you are saying but when you are on a very tight budget, retired with a state pension only, every penny counts. Here in the UK it seems that anything to do with quilting is so expensive as it is not as popular hobby as over the pond

I have recently starting using Starch and love it, I am using "Faultless" as it a third of the price of Best Press for twice the amount! The difference with a couple of cans will buy me a cone of thread or maybe a FQ or two!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

I have never tried Best Press because I am happy with a product called Magic Sizing that unfortunately seems to be available only at the super Walmart. It doesn't have any of the white flakes when pressing too soon and is light body without the stiffness.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Wow! $12.00 for 8.4oz??? Can't afford that one.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I bought the new Flatter spray. I like it better the Best Press. The best starch to use is Oxford and Wells. I buy it at Amazon. I use Sta Flo to make extra heavy starch. I use extra heavy when there are small pieces to cut and sew. There are many options available for everyone.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I understand being on a budget. I buy the items I like and save elsewhere. I learned it doesn't matter what I pay for one thing if another is bought cheaper. The same amount of money is being spent.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 AM

Sizing spray is available at the Dollar stores (Dollar Tree, It's a Dollar, etc.). It is not Magic Sizing brand, but it works the same. And, Magic Sizing can be found at Dollar General; it is the light body sizing.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have never tried Best Press because I am happy with a product called Magic Sizing that unfortunately seems to be available only at the super Walmart. It doesn't have any of the white flakes when pressing too soon and is light body without the stiffness.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:08 AM

I always use Best Press before I cut a fabric. It cuts smoother and my lines are straighter and the machine loves it. Seems to add just enough and if not, I can always Best Press in layers till it suits me
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by MrsDerf View Post
I agree about the bugs not being a problem. I have used all types of starch and left it for months ant never had a bug. I'm in Michigan lots is bugs in my area but maybe the hard winters I'll them all. Guess you would have to try it in your area.
I was told by a tailor that the preservatives in starch prevents it from attracting bugs, so I don't worry about it, and no bugs.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:24 PM

I like to mix my own "argo" that way its the strength I need.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnitaGrossmanSolomon View Post
I wrote about starching techniques a few years ago but you might find these thoughts of mine still relevant and perhaps amusing:
http://marcusfabrics.com/features/qu.../#.U-Paw6OTK68
Relevant indeed Anita thank-you for your insightful article! Love your classes, I've learned and improved because of your teaching skills, I'm an avid fan! :0)