Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch not in spray can >

Starch not in spray can

Starch not in spray can

Old 04-13-2017, 02:28 PM

I use the gallon liquid starch (whatever brand the store has) and mix it 50/50 with water.

The best bottle I've found I get at Sally Beauty Supply. It is actually for hair spray and misting hair. It is a fine mist. I haven't had problems with it clogging but if I did I would just soak the spray part in a little warm water and it would free the clog. I also use this type sprayer for Best Press to make it go further and get a more even coverage.

As far a starching and coverage I spray my fabric and then roll it up and let it rest in a plastic bag - like we did with sprinkleing clothes back in the day. This way the starch has a chance to get absorbed into the fabric. No goo on your iron and nicer finished product. I have a plastic dish pan that I put the fabric in to spray it to keep the mess contained.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If any is leftover after I'm finished, say an ounce maybe 2 I may spray a couple strip scraps or just pour it down the drain then clean it out with a little dish detergent. Just put a little in the bottle and fill with water. Give it a good shake then run it through by spraying and repeat with warm clear water. You'll have a clean bottle to work with on the next project.
I almost never wash my spray bottle. One time a few years ago, I noticed a little mold in the bottle after I hadn't used it for quite a while. That time I cleaned out the bottle. But now I just put the bottle into the refrigerator if I think I won't be using it for a while. Most of the time it just sits on the shelf above my ironing board. I shake it up when I want to use it and put it back on the shelf.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 PM

I buy non-aerosol spray Niagara at Safeway. It's my #1 choice for starch.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I use Niagara bottle and mix it to the stiffness I want. It is available at supermarkets. I think most of them carry it or other brands. Look in the isle where laundry stuff is. If it isn't available at your local store, talk to the manager and ask them to carry it.

I like the bottle starch rather than spray cans because less garbage ends up in landfills. If I could find powdered starch, I would use that.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:11 PM

I use sta flow, and mix it up myself. I use the light mixture.
any old empty spray bottle that has been cleaned out well.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:35 PM

I don't spray my starch at all. After I wash and dry my fabric, I dip it into a dishpan containing a solution of 50% Sta Flo starch and 50% water. I let it absorb the liquid, gently squeeze out the excess, and allow the fabric to dry on a rack. I iron it when barely moist, if possible. (If not, I use steam in my iron.) The fabric comes out stiff all over and very easy to work with! If you want a less-stiff result, just adjust the proportions of starch and water.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
I don't spray my starch at all. After I wash and dry my fabric, I dip it into a dishpan containing a solution of 50% Sta Flo starch and 50% water. I let it absorb the liquid, gently squeeze out the excess, and allow the fabric to dry on a rack. I iron it when barely moist, if possible. (If not, I use steam in my iron.) The fabric comes out stiff all over and very easy to work with! If you want a less-stiff result, just adjust the proportions of starch and water.
Sushi, does your method leave starch residue on your iron?
Old 04-16-2017, 03:42 AM

I buy it at the grocery store in a big blue bottle. I mix half and half in a small dish tub in the sink and soak my material in that, ring it out, dry it in the dry and press it and that is that. The material is starched. No spray bottle.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
less garbage ends up in landfills. If I could find powdered starch, I would use that.
ube: Are you near any Amish or Mennonite communities? Their stores might carry the powdered starch. I have an old box of that in my cupboard which I have used once in the last 30 years.

I, too, am against anything that puts more "stuff" into the landfills.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:51 PM

I use either the Niagra spray bottle or Best Press. Niagra is at Walmart and Best Press from Joannes. There is something about the Niagra smell that takes me back to childhood. I guess the scent hasn't changed much since the 60's.