Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch and sizing...what's the story? >

Starch and sizing...what's the story?

Starch and sizing...what's the story?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
Oh, no, you didn't come across wrong at all...just wish I knew why I have such bad luck with the search function. I often see others post a link they have found by using the search function, so I do know it works. That leaves it being me the problem...LOL
You are not alone. I rarely find what I am looking for when I use the search function. I guess I don't put the right words in. I can google it usually though.

Dina
Old 10-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Here's one of the older threads on this topic:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...h-t251993.html

I put the words starch sizing into the search box and then scanned down the list until I got to this one.

I could have gone to "advanced search", entered the same words, and changed the default from "search entire posts" to "search titles only" and this would have automatically eliminated many of the threads that came up on the list, so I wouldn't have had to scan down the titles myself.

I would advise trying this out a few times yourself. Being able to search the QB has been invaluable to me many times!
Old 10-11-2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Here's one of the older threads on this topic:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...h-t251993.html

I put the words starch sizing into the search box and then scanned down the list until I got to this one.

I could have gone to "advanced search", entered the same words, and changed the default from "search entire posts" to "search titles only" and this would have automatically eliminated many of the threads that came up on the list, so I wouldn't have had to scan down the titles myself.

I would advise trying this out a few times yourself. Being able to search the QB has been invaluable to me many times!

I really feel dumb now...I did not even notice the 'advanced' option. Thank you for pointing it out. Am reading the link you gave me...there is a lot on it. Thanks so much for the advice...I am usually not this helpless.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:51 AM

I have read that you should not use starch because bugs love it, eat it and your fabric. I've not experienced this myself as I use sizing, but people whose opinion I respect have posted that about not using starch.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
I have read that you should not use starch because bugs love it, eat it and your fabric. I've not experienced this myself as I use sizing, but people whose opinion I respect have posted that about not using starch.
It depends a lot on where you live. Bugs might be a problem in Alabama, but really they are no problem at all up here in Wisconsin!