Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch and sizing...what's the story? >

Starch and sizing...what's the story?

Starch and sizing...what's the story?

Old 10-11-2014, 05:25 AM

Default Starch and sizing...what's the story?

I spend a lot of spare moments watching You Tube videos and some I see made by the Fat Quarter Shop...Kimberly always says to use NO-flaking starch. So, I am wondering why? I think at one time I knew the answer, and have also heard the difference between starch and sizing, but cannot recall right now. Just wondering what the rest of you have heard or experienced.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

if you use sta flo, just give it a moment after spraying for the starch to soak into the fabric. i usually spray lightly, press, then spray lightly again and press again.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I spray the wrong side of the fabric, fold it in quarters wrong side together then fold again right sides together, press with my hands, then unfold then press. Works for me and I get little build up on my iron. I usually wipe my iron after pressing starched fabric anyway. Same way with sizing.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Starch adds a stiff/crispness to a fabric, making cutting easier, more precise. Sizing adds body to a fabric without stiffness. Fabrics on the bolt have sizing in them, it helps keep them from wrinkles. We tend to wash out the sizing when we prewash. Some people like to add it back to the fabric when ironing, helps with the wrinkles, does not add the stiffness of starch

Last edited by ckcowl; 10-11-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 AM

What I've heard is that starch is a grain based product and sizing is not. My LQS said to always use sizing because grains attract critters... the kind that will chew up your fabric for the grain residue. So I always use sizing.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

We have talked about this a few times before. You might try using the search function to get even more info. I don't use either one on a regular basis
Old 10-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
We have talked about this a few times before. You might try using the search function to get even more info. I don't use either one on a regular basis
I did try looking up with search function...I seldom have luck with it. I do not know why it is that way. But I almost always search before posing a question. Everyone else seems to have good luck...and there are times I know I have seen the discussions myself and try to find them and cannot. I must be doing something wrong but I have no idea what it is.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
What I've heard is that starch is a grain based product and sizing is not. My LQS said to always use sizing because grains attract critters... the kind that will chew up your fabric for the grain residue. So I always use sizing.
I knew that there was something like this...just could not remember which one. I had seen it on Simply Quilts years ago...and I just picked up a No-flaking starch. I guess when I start, I best hurry and finish and then wash!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose S. View Post
I did try looking up with search function...I seldom have luck with it. I do not know why it is that way. But I almost always search before posing a question. Everyone else seems to have good luck...and there are times I know I have seen the discussions myself and try to find them and cannot. I must be doing something wrong but I have no idea what it is.
I apologize if I came
across wrong. I was hoping you would get a lot more info is all.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I apologize if I came
across wrong. I was hoping you would get a lot more info is all.
Oh, no, you didn't come across wrong at all...just wish I knew why I have such bad luck with the search function. I often see others post a link they have found by using the search function, so I do know it works. That leaves it being me the problem...LOL