Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starch then cut or cut then starch?

Question Starch then cut or cut then starch?

I'm a new to quilting and have a question regarding starching. I want to try the "Hidden Wells" pattern but do I cut the strips first, then starch and sew together? O should I starch the fabric, then cut and sew? Is there a particular way that's easier or is it just preference? Thanks for your input.
    Emily

A fugitive from the Quilt Police

Starch then cut.

Starching will add body to the fabric and make it 'crisper' to cut which leaves a cleaner edge. It will also make the fabric flat, smooth, and somewhat stiff which will aid when cutting by keeping the fabric straighter and flatter.

Also, when you starch and iron, the fabric will distort a bit - so you want to do that before you cut it and sew it.

That said ... when I complete a block I will starch it again and press (not iron, but press - which means I just lay the iron down on top without moving the irong. To press a different section, I pick the iron up and lay it down again on the next section).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I starch my fabric as I press it before I cut the strips. Sometimes I restarch lightly as I press blocks before trimming. I like starch in the fabric before I start FMQ. It's much easier to handle lightly starched fabric.

I agree - starch the fabric before cutting.

Yep, definitely before. It helps accuracy in cutting as well as piecing. There are lots of threads on this site for starching if you do a search. I use the Sta-flo liquid from Wal-mart 50/50 with water in a spray bottle, love that stuff. There are also recipes on here for homemade and Best Press is nice too, but pricey. I spray quite heavily and let pretty much dry before ironing my fabric yardage (no flaking and less distortion of fabric).

Yes, starch first then cut. Otherwise it just gets messy and wasteful. Starching for the Hidden Wells pattern is a good idea to stiffen the fabric sew the bias cuts don't stretch. Makes for better accuracy all around.

Power Poster
    If I am going to cut 3 inch strips, I cut a strip off my fabric at about 3&1/4, starch and iron the strip and then trim to the exact size. This gives me a little extra to play with in case the strip shrinks or changes any. You would be surprise how a little wrinkle in the fabric can effect your strip.

Starch then cut , your cutting accuracy will be much better with really flat crisp fabric.

Starch first. It will make cutting much easier. Have fun and good luck.
    Annie

I starch first, I think it makes for more accurate cuts.
    Margie....wannaBsewer

favorite poem..Outwitted by Edwin Markham...He drew a circle that shut us out..heretic, rebel a thing to flout.
    But Love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast