Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starch?  when >

starch? when

starch? when

Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 PM

On another thread here, I read how important it is to starch, but what do you starch ...or when do you starch? After a block is done? After the blocks have been sewn into a quilt top? Are we talking spray starch here or that awful stuff that I barely remember?

I thought I was beginning to be more than a beginner, but I have not starched anything yet. What should I be starching? Have I goofed on the quilts that I have made?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:02 PM

This is what I learned from this site...starch before you cut your fabric because it helps to make more accurate cuts and helps control bias edges. They also starch the blocks as they go along. I didn't use to starch but I find it helps my accuracy in cutting--I'm a terrible cutter :roll: I use the Stay-Flo liquid starch that comes in the 2 quart bottle from Walmart mixing it with water in a spray bottle. Some use a 50/50 ratio, some more, some less. I have also used the starch in the spray can.

There's also another brand of starch that comes in various aromas, lavender, rose, etc. I forget the name of it but other's on this board swear by it because it doesn't leave the flakes that regular starch uses but it costs more than regular starch.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:03 PM

You haven't done anything wrong, your other quilts will be fine. Starching (I use the spray) just stiffens up the fabric enough so that you can handle it better, line it up better, etc. One of the most important things it can help with is when your working with bias to help keep from stretching it out (or warping it out of shape) just remember to "press" and not to "iron"
Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
This is what I learned from this site...starch before you cut your fabric because it helps to make more accurate cuts and helps control bias edges. They also starch the blocks as they go along. I didn't use to starch but I find it helps my accuracy in cutting--I'm a terrible cutter :roll: I use the Stay-Flo liquid starch that comes in the 2 quart bottle from Walmart mixing it with water in a spray bottle. Some use a 50/50 ratio, some more, some less. I have also used the starch in the spray can.

There's also another brand of starch that comes in various aromas, lavender, rose, etc. I forget the name of it but other's on this board swear by it because it doesn't leave the flakes that regular starch uses but it costs more than regular starch.
I just saw it on another post! It's called "Mary Ellen's Best Press!"
Old 05-31-2010, 02:10 PM

I always starch my fabrics before I ever cut them. I have used regular starch from the grocery store but I prefer Mary Ellen's. It is alot more expensive so I suggest that you 'hide' it from the rest of the family (in case they are ironing any of their clothes and might want to use starch).

Another word of caution...I buy my Mary Ellen's in a gallon container and then refill my little spray bottle as needed. I took a Sharpie marker and wrote on my gallon container that it is NOT to be put inside my iron. According to a quilt shop employee, someone was under the impression that one should put it in the iron (like distilled water)...that is a very big no,no. I did not want my hubby or daughters doing that so I labeled that bottle.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:52 PM

Okay, thanks for the information. I will be starching my stuff before I cut from now on!!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Google Goddess

love all of the comments, we learn from each other
Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 AM

I learned at our Guild that using Sizing helps to stabilize the fabric before cutting, and after completing a block, or a big section you have completed.
That was 5 years ago that the spray sizing was talked about at our Guild. At that time, they were telling us to not use spray starch, as it attracts insects and moths, esp. So, the sizing didn't, they told us at that time. It could have all changed by now, for all I know.
That is what I like about the quilting board; you get all sorts of opinions and ways of doing things. We are always learning!
Mariah
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM

I like to cut before I cut, then again when a block is finished. I square up my blocks and find if I starch them they are so much easier to handle.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM

I make my own spray starch that is similar to the expensive stuff you can buy in the LQS. Contact me if you need the recipe. It takes only a few min and makes a couple of qts. with 2 T of liquid starch.