Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting and Ending FMQ >

Starting and Ending FMQ

Starting and Ending FMQ

Old 10-09-2016, 04:47 PM

Default Starting and Ending FMQ

What's your opinion on tying and burying the start and end threads when you FMQ versus trying to start and stop with small stitches? I'm not liking the buildup of the small stitches. Is there another approach to this issue?
Old 10-09-2016, 05:24 PM

I do a back and forth stitch 2 or 3 times then I bury my threads tails. When I run out of bobbin I remove a few stitches so I can tie the thread and bury. I like to bury the thread when I can.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:34 PM

it depends of the purpose of the quilt--if I'm doing a show quilt I'll bury the thread ends. But if it's not intended for that I'll do a few tiny stitches to "knot" it--which took me a lot of practice to get where it wasn't a lot of thread build up.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:41 PM

Aha. It's going to take me a while to be able to avoid the ending "lump". I think I'll bury the thread ends on this quilt.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I knot my threads and using an easy thread needle, bring the ends into the quilt sandwich and clip off the extra thread. I don't leave the threads all to the end but knot and bury as I finish a section.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I like to bury my threads after I'm done quilting. I also use an easy thread needle.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:48 PM

I almost always bury my ends. When I'm in a rush, I will thread a loop of polyester thread through a needle (put both ends through the eye) & use that to pull the knot through to the back & inside. Most of the time it goes faster. Sometimes the poly thread snaps in half. Sometimes it out-competes the knot and breaks my knot, though, which means I'm having to unsew a bit and re-do that section; so when I can, I prefer to bury the old fashioned way.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:38 AM

Most of the time I bury them as I go. It doesn't take long and it prevents having those pesky tails to avoid while quilting. I pull the bobbin thread to the top, knot and then bury. I do this for my larger wall hanging quilts and also for ones that will be used as quilts. If I think the quilt will get heavy use and lots of laundering, then I take tiny stitches at beginning and end, but still knot and bury both starting and ending tails.

For my smaller art quilts that are mounted on panel, I take tiny stitches to start and also tiny stitches to end, then use the automatic thread cutter on my machine. These quilts are glued to the panel, so the back is not visible, and the glueing prevents the unburied threads on the back from coming loose.

Rob
Old 10-10-2016, 12:01 PM

By easy thread needle - do you mean the needle that has the slot at the top and you just snap the thread into it? I do own one of those and it would speed things up a bit....
Old 10-11-2016, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I knot my threads and using an easy thread needle, bring the ends into the quilt sandwich and clip off the extra thread. I don't leave the threads all to the end but knot and bury as I finish a section.
This is the way I do it too. I don't trust NOT tying the threads. I'm afraid it will work loose, even after burying the threads.