Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting up a local longarm group - any ideas?

Starting up a local longarm group - any ideas?

I have had my longarm just over 2 years now, and I feel that I'm stuck in a rut, not progressing as fast as I would like. When I started quilting, I learned quickly, thanks mostly to the wonderful friends who answered questions and showed me what they did and how they did it. I would like to participate in a longarm group, hopefully where longarmers meet in each other's homes every month or so and exchange ideas. There is one such group in this area, but it is all professional longarmers, and they are not looking for new members. I would like to form a new group, hopefully with both pros and non-pros using various brands of longarms. I'm not sure whether it would make sense to mix longarms, shortarms, stand-up machines, etc. I suspect that there is a lot of cross-over knowledge.

I plan to check with the local guilds to see if there are people who would like to join, and also at the LQS's in the area. I'll post with the longarm groups on yahoo. And of course I've posted here.

Any other suggestions? Anyone interested in joining a group? Has anyone started a similar group? I'd love to find out how you got started, what you do at your meetings, and what you have learned from the experience.

I am doing the same thing! For our 1st meeting, I am asking everyone to bring a sampler of what they CAN do and attempts of what they want to learn. Hopefully, this will get us started!
    May the scrap fairy visit your sewing room often

Sounds like a great idea to me
    Paula

Ohhhh, I wish I lived near you! I'd love to have a longarm group near me. I like your idea of having pros and non-pros, what a great way to share ideas.

I bought a Tin Lizzie 26" and pick it up this weekend. I'm so excited!

Christine-
    http://quiltdasher.blogspot.com/
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

Great idea! I have no experience with anything like that, so I'm afraid i can't help. But I'd surely join if I were nearby. Good luck to you!

Blog Entries
    I would be happy to just have one friend who loves to make quilts but I'd be over the moon to have a whole group of friends who longarm.
    Janome D1822/Janome 4618LE/1946 Singer 15-91 in original cabinet
    Bailey 17 Pro/Grace Original GMQ Frame with No-Flex carriage upgrade

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L View Post
    I would be happy to just have one friend who loves to make quilts but I'd be over the moon to have a whole group of friends who longarm.
    Me too!
    Sadiemae

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    Great idea! I have no experience with anything like that, so I'm afraid i can't help. But I'd surely join if I were nearby. Good luck to you!
    I agree, what a great idea! Wish I lived nearby, I would love to be part of group like that.

Wish I was closer too! I have a feeling that most of the long-armers around here want to keep their ideas and tricks to themselves---competitive.....

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Dang, I'm on the other side of Oregon from you. I have a Bernina 830 with a long arm table and would love any help. I've had the table for 1 1/2 years, but it's still sitting in all the boxes in my garage because I know nothing about quilting. Having a group would be wonderful. If you do start one, maybe I could drive down, get a motel and come to one of your meetings and get some ideas. Maybe I could come 3 times a year. I'm up for that. I'm about 6 1/2 hours from you. I'm in northeastern Oregon. By LaGrande, over the mountains from Pendleton.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast