Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash or no stash?? >

Stash or no stash??

Stash or no stash??

Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 PM

My hubby-to-be and I live in a one bedroom apartment. Really no room for a stash. I am strictly a planner.. I plan the quilt I want to make (i have 2 more in mind after I finish my first). I know the general fabric I want to use, and have just a small bin for my ruler, seam ripper and other tools of the trade. I have a portable singer that has no real home. Just get shuffled from one spot to another.

I never really found the need for a stash like my ex mother in law had. in fact i think all that extra fabric would drive me nuts..

So tell me.. The house we are looking at buying has a shed that I would convert to my sewing room. Should I start building a stash or wait?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM

If you start now you'll just have to move it. I'd wait.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by sharoney
If you start now you'll just have to move it. I'd wait.
Funny!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I'm with sharoney, just something you will have to pack and move. As you are a planner by nature you will probably have quite an organised approach to stash building (wish I did, but fabric of any description is my downfall)- which is going to hold you in good stead. So maybe listmaking is in order 'til you get your "quilting cabin".
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 PM

If you are a planner and the extra fabric would honestly drive you nuts, why have a stash? It isn't required. The only reason for building a real "stash" might be if you were planning to get more into swaps, classes and such. For these it helps to have a bunch of blenders and stuff. Believe me....I signed up for both groups in the Boomerang Swap and did so without thinking about the fact that I didn't have a stash yet. I have had to buy a TON of FQs to work with the blocks.....I of course LOVED every minute of it :D

Originally Posted by SimpleCook29
My hubby-to-be and I live in a one bedroom apartment. Really no room for a stash. I am strictly a planner.. I plan the quilt I want to make (i have 2 more in mind after I finish my first). I know the general fabric I want to use, and have just a small bin for my ruler, seam ripper and other tools of the trade. I have a portable singer that has no real home. Just get shuffled from one spot to another.

I never really found the need for a stash like my ex mother in law had. in fact i think all that extra fabric would drive me nuts..

So tell me.. The house we are looking at buying has a shed that I would convert to my sewing room. Should I start building a stash or wait?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 PM

I just let mine grow from "leftovers" and really only have scraps which I love to use and sort through.

I always wonder whether the real big stash owners that buy bolts or many yards at a time ever get tired of using the same fabric all the time. Not a knock, guys, just a question.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:16 AM

I only have a small stash because I love to use lots of colors in my quilts so will buy fat quarters or 1/2 yards if I really like the material and have an idea what I want to do it. I get tired of the same material, I need variety. So I would continue to do what you are doing, plan what you need, it works for you.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:05 AM

I have always been a bit of a collecter....guess it was growing up on the farm in the 50's!! You always made sure you had enough groceries in the kitchen once winter arrived....might be snowed in for weeks at a time!! Well, now fabric has taken over as my collection of choice!! I remember when Batiks were introduced about 15 years ago.....the time that Calicos were the rage and NO ONE bought them ( except me!! ) and they all ended up on the clearence tables ( and in my stash!! ) I just loved the randomness of the colors and am still pulling out a lot of the ''oldies but goodies''. With the cost of Batiks nearing the 15.00 range at my LQS, it is like money in the bank!!

Watch the sales and build your stash if your really LOVE the fabric and have the room or it will become a headache to you in your quest for orginazation!!

jodi
Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 AM

Wait...because once you have it, it just seems to grow and grow no matter how much you use of it...Just can't seem to get rid of it.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 AM

If this is the way you're happy quilting than no, I wouldn't build a stash. If you have fabric left over after a project you can "gift" to a scrap lover!
I have fabric everywhere! I love scrap quilts, but this is me the way I'm happy quilting.