Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash?? >

Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash??

Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash??

Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 PM

Oh go out and buy more fabric for your stash in both places. You will always need the extra amounts.
I have a caravan and you can be sure if you only take a limited amount to make a project you require something left at home. These are both long times in each. Is tranort ings the stash backwards and forwards possible?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't divide it, just buy seconds but on a smaller scale for the smaller house.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
I'd probably keep it all in one place and put together a bunch of projects to take to the other house each year. And maybe add some extra bits for "in case I run out". But most likely I'd just see it as a reason to increase my stash I can't imagine splitting it between the 2 permanently - I'd always want something that was at the other house, I'm sure.
I think this is what I would do as well. Otherwise, I fear, that I would always want the fabric that is stashed at the other house.

Cheers, K
Old 03-26-2014, 05:48 AM

We, too, are fortunate to have two homes. One in Wisconsin and one in Florida. I find that I work on different types of projects at the different homes. In Florida, I tend to have brighter colors and more neon like fabrics. In Wisconsin, I tend to "Northwoods" items. We tend to spend equal time in both places. I have a couple of sewing machines at both residents. Does that work for you?
Old 03-26-2014, 06:26 AM

WHat a problem to have wish I had it. HA HA HA I'm with the everybody that's tall you to keep prog. kits at the small summer home. or how about the spring color's at the summer home and winter color's in the mountain?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Oh go out and buy more fabric for your stash in both places. You will always need the extra amounts.
I have a caravan and you can be sure if you only take a limited amount to make a project you require something left at home. These are both long times in each. Is tranort ings the stash backwards and forwards possible?
Not possible. It's way too big even if we left our clothes I am ashamed to say. My DH is an enabler.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:49 AM

I think I would go with the keeping the stash at the larger place and spending some of my time there creating kits and then taking the kits with me. When making kits I might also add a couple of other pieces that might work with the project just in case. If nothing else I would try that first and see how it works - if it doesn't work try to keep track of the reasons it isn't working and then you can re-evaluate
Old 03-26-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
We, too, are fortunate to have two homes. One in Wisconsin and one in Florida. I find that I work on different types of projects at the different homes. In Florida, I tend to have brighter colors and more neon like fabrics. In Wisconsin, I tend to "Northwoods" items. We tend to spend equal time in both places. I have a couple of sewing machines at both residents. Does that work for you?
This and Sweetpea's comment are very insightful. The mountain house has subdued wine, green and gold colors and I'll need to be making some things for there. I can keep my Project Linus colors and juvenile prints here on the sound where I winter away sewing tops for the kids. I can take the mountain house colors and some kitted up projects the 6 hours up to the mountain. Maybe some precuts I have in case I get bored with that stuff. I also got crazy when the first grand girl was born and bought a tub full of pinky girlie prints that might go up there to stay. And then there's my scraps! Maybe a UHaul?
Great ideas! Thanks for posting!
Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM

Ah, first world problems. So tough ;-).

Split your stash in half and keep half at one, half at the other. Limiting your choices is always a fun challenge. Then over time, pieces of your stash will migrate to their natural resting ground ;-).
Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
I'm envious of your problem.

I agree with storing everything at the nice studio in the mountain home, and making up kits to take to the "shack". How far apart are the two homes? Depending how many kits it would take for you to get through winter, would you be able to swap them out with ones from the mountain studio occasionally? I live in a pretty small apartment at the moment, and I'm finding it challenging having my extra supplies crowding me, so depending how you work, it might be nice to only have a couple kits at the waterfront place, and then pick up new ones when you're done the first ones.
I also downsize to a small 2 bedroom senior only apt. STILL trying to get organized. I would do as Jennifer said. But maybe take along some extra tonals to fill in any unforseen gaps.