Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash?? >

Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash??

Stash question: If you live in two homes, how do you divide your stash??

Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 AM

My DH and I are currently looking for a winter home in Fl. but haven't found what we want yet. I was also thinking ahead about this same issue. I will take a second sewing machine and table to leave in Fl but not sure yet how I will divide my stash.
I agree with others--will probably make up a few kits of fabric and patterns to take with me to Fl along with an extra mat and some rulers. I am sure I will have to buy a few duplicate things that I will probably forget.
Just looking forward to leaving these cold winters behind.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
I'm envious of your problem.

I agree with storing everything at the nice studio in the mountain home, and making up kits to take to the "shack". How far apart are the two homes? Depending how many kits it would take for you to get through winter, would you be able to swap them out with ones from the mountain studio occasionally? I live in a pretty small apartment at the moment, and I'm finding it challenging having my extra supplies crowding me, so depending how you work, it might be nice to only have a couple kits at the waterfront place, and then pick up new ones when you're done the first ones.

Another idea to consider: hire/adopt me to look after the mountain home in the off season, and curate your quilt/fabric collection. Whatever bits you don't like to do, I'll take care of... ironing? cutting? squaring up blocks? I could even deliver kits to you at the shore when you need them. Maybe not what you were thinking, but do keep it in mind.
I agree with this
Old 03-27-2014, 02:55 AM

I have two homes and it took a while to get sewing set up at both houses with duplicates but am getting there. It makes a difference how frequently you will be going between the two houses. For me we spend 7 months in one and 5 in the other with no going back and forth in between so once I leave something there it's there for a while. Another is space. I have more space in one house than the other. A third consideration for me is where fabric shops are. At my one home they are plentiful and close. Not so at the other so I have more of my stash where it is a distance to a fabric store and less stash where if I need something I can run and get it. I also tend to work on different types of projects at the different houses which dictates what things I have where. I do take some back and forth but that amount gets smaller each year. No matter what you will always have times where you will be missing something that is at the other house. That is what you have to come to grips with and hard for me at first.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

I tend to work on different types of projects in different locations/seasons- my winter projects are in my 'winter' place; my summer projects are in the other place. so they each have their own individual stashes/needs. and if I am working on something I need to finish when going from one place to another I just pack it up & take it.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:51 AM

What a dilema to have! Bless your heart! I should be typing in green. LOL I agree with CookyIN and Jennifer 23. However; hire me to look after the mountain home in the off season! I work cheap. I could always mail you what you needed when I was at the mountain house.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:58 AM

I also have this "dilemma". I tend to have different projects at different homes. At our mountain home I have most of my fabric, books, notions and 34 sewing machines, no lie. I make most of my quilted projects there.
At our first home I have 3 - 4 sewing machines plus some fabric, patterns and duplicate notions for making baby and doll clothes for various relatives. I do some piecing as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 AM

I have a basic stash at the second house because I love shopping garage sales there and have found some great treasures. Then when inspiration strikes I have background fabric and so on. I put together project totes with everything I need for that quilt, then carry it back and forth. I always bring the leftover fabric after cutting just in case I've made a mistake. I find that I get more done at the 2nd place because I'm not distracted by so much stuff.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Are you retired ? if not then just take projects with all the needs for that project (s) to the other house . Reason I asked if you are retired if you are then you will probably spend more time at the fishing shack LOL cute name than your own residence during spring, summer and fall ... Then you need to take it all to the fishing shack, otherwise its just projects to be done ...
But then to me ... I would use whatever has the most storage and room for most of the main sewing, quilting, crafting.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 AM

We have our regular home and a lake side cottage. I keep everything at our main home. I reserve just a portion of the quilting process for the cottage. I do a lot of hand quilting there. Find it very relaxing to do that over looking the lake. Lately, I have purchased a couple of kits. They are a great project to pack up and bring. Pack the kit, a machine and an iron. Store a smaller ruler, rotary cutter and mat year round at your second place.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:47 AM

I feel you pain! Just give me half.....lol!