Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stash question >

Stash question

Stash question

Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Power Poster

Mine is much smaller than most, but I can work on projects for many moons with out a trip to the LQS. I built my stash slowly and without full price fabrics.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by buckyfan19
I have seen so many beautiful quilts posted on the board, and many of the people say they pulled all the fabric from their stash. What sizes/quantites of fabrics do you keep in your stash? Thanks
ps....go Badgers!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 PM

I have a lrge stash and had the nerve to go out and buy more today. I am so addicted to fabric. I need treatment. Actually maybe I should get a job as a buyer. I just love fabric. I was buying fabric for borders today so I was generally buying between 2 and 3 yards. I also am buying now becasue I have told myself that the buying stops come January. I will be using my stash then and only buying what is necessary to finish a project. I pray I can accomplish this.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Well I try and buy for a quilt/project in mind. But, there are certain fabics that call out to me so my quilt stash has to be very organized. Hubby bought me stackable units that fit into my closet in the sewing room. They are white cubes from Lowes I think called closet maid. There are fabric drawers that fit each square the keeps them dust free. (I live in the country)
But, I have good reason to stash away fabrics. We get snowstorms in the winter that I would never drive in. So on those days I get to sew, there it is! Everything I need.

To answer your question about how much to buy. If it is a blender that is a color I use all the time,I buy a large quantity. If it is a print that I think will go into maybe one project, one or two yards. (Depending on the project I have in mind.) If it is for something specific I buy the amount given for it plus enough to re-cut for mistakes. (a quarter yard or so extra)
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 PM

My stash is relatively small compared to many others but I have mostly 1 and 2 yard cuts plus scraps. I have 3 large rubber maid containers my fabric is in. My Christmas fabrics are in 1 and the other 2 are an organized mess :)
Old 12-16-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
Originally Posted by buckyfan19
I have seen so many beautiful quilts posted on the board, and many of the people say they pulled all the fabric from their stash. What sizes/quantites of fabrics do you keep in your stash? Thanks
ps....go Badgers!
Rose Bowl, baby!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:52 PM

My stash isn't really that big. Stash is something that grows and grows. Kind of stuff that is leftovers, and just random fabrics that call to you. You can never have too much stuff!!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM

My stah is not as large as most on the board I would guess. I have two large Rubbermaid totes almost full of fabric. I also have a floor to ceiling unit with multiple shelves that is2/3 full. I usually buy at least 2 yards if I find a random fabric that appeals to me that I have no concrete plans for. I also love to pick up fat quarters, especially of batiks. Other than that I usually buy about 1/2 yard more than what is called for in a pattern to give a margin for error and a bit left over to "stash". Good luck with yours!!
Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM

Ummmm Lots and lots.......
Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Way too much. I have it in the attic, under my bed, under a dresser, in a closet with shelves, in baskets in sewing room, in shelves in DH office and bolts on the ironing board. There is no way I could organize all of it. I love to pick up remnants at Hobby Lobby, if buying yardage I buy at least 2 yds.but sometimes the whole bolt.