Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Steady betty pressing sheet >

Steady betty pressing sheet

Steady betty pressing sheet

Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 AM

Default Steady betty pressing sheet

I am new to posting so please bear with me....I have briefly heard of the Steady Betty pressing sheet and am wondering if anyone has purchased and used it?
Old 08-28-2015, 04:19 AM

It was featured at the last Bernina Club I attended and we got to see it and feel it. I almost bought one, but then I thought I could just take a heavy piece or two of cardboard or a piece of pressed board, add batting and a cover and have my own ironing board and it would be the size I need and covered with the fabric of my choice which could be changed as I want or need. So I didn't buy it and so far I have not made one either!
Old 08-28-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
It was featured at the last Bernina Club I attended and we got to see it and feel it. I almost bought one, but then I thought I could just take a heavy piece or two of cardboard or a piece of pressed board, add batting and a cover and have my own ironing board and it would be the size I need and covered with the fabric of my choice which could be changed as I want or need. So I didn't buy it and so far I have not made one either!

Didn't Jenny from MSQC once have a tute on making your own handy ironing board...like the one she uses on her tutes......I've also read here of some who have used TV trays.........
Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 AM

I have it and love it. It sits on a TV table to my left as I am sewing. I throw a small cutting mat on it to trim fabric then remove that and press my piecing.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 AM

I have not seen this. When using a small pressing surface next to my machine, I have a 'TV Tray' which I just fold a couple of towels to use as a pressing surface. Can then also use it as a cutting surface with a small mat. Perfect for me particularly when doing paper piecing projects.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

The Steady Betty is not a pressing sheet. It is a board covered in thin foam, not fabric. The fabric will not move when pressing. It is quality made, reversible, and heavier then it looks. I use it to press all my quilt pieces and blocks. If you can find the foam backed vinyl (use to be sold as outdoor fabric) you can make your own. I found some but the price of the fabric was as much as buying the board. Here is video of the small size one being used and described:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZ7VYosv2w
Old 08-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes these specialty items can run into costing a pretty penny. I would rather buy more fabric than have something that I can make and save on the cost.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 PM

If you mean Steady Betty pressing board, I have two . . .one small I keep in my bag for classes. They do help prevent stretching blocks with biased edges from stretching out of shape when pressing. I also have a pair of the Steady Betty bands for FMQ . . .they're just ok. If you really do mean pressing sheet, I've not heard of them . . .how do they differ from a teflon sheet or a piece of batiste?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Sometimes these specialty items can run into costing a pretty penny. I would rather buy more fabric than have something that I can make and save on the cost.
If you can make a Steady Betty for less then it cost then that's great. Personally I haven't found the supplies needed to be cheaper.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
If you can make a Steady Betty for less then it cost then that's great. Personally I haven't found the supplies needed to be cheaper.
I completely agree . . .the foam used on a Steady Betty is quite unique and not something I've seen anywhere.

It's fine to be frugal out of necessity or choice . . .but some of us enjoy using good tools because the process is the whole reason we quilt. Whether someone spends money on fabrics, notions and machines or both, is a matter of personal choice. ��