Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Steam or dry iron for pressing squares >

Steam or dry iron for pressing squares

Steam or dry iron for pressing squares

Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
You can fill you iron with vinegar. set to steam after soaking for overnight, let it heat up, steam a minute or two over an old towel I use vinegar straight to remove starch build-up. wipe on, let sit, then wipe off....if it is stubborn, heat the iron on 1 or 2.
If you have a metal trivet or the equivalent, you can set the iron on it in your kitchen sink and let it steam until the iron is almost empty. That will take almost everything built up out of the iron.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
If you are going to forget, just buy the inexpensive irons at Walmart, etc. If it rusts, 'chuck it'! I live with almost no short term memory, so I have to use these tricks quite often.
I lucked out at a resale place and found a big bunch of Black and Dekker irons (new in box but older models) for $7 and I bought 4 of them. I'm still using the first of them and it's been over a year.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:21 AM

I agree, ditch the iron. One should only use distilled water in the iron if you must steam. It doesn't leave any hard water residue to clog the iron. If you are not doing a lot of steaming, only put a little bit of water in the iron so it will be used up and not be left in the iron to rust. Or just mist it! I don't steam I mist. When the square is completely done and ready to get squared, I lightly mist and "press". This means not sliding the iron over the fabric but lifting it up and pressing the fabric all over. It makes it nice and flat so it can be squared before sewing the rows together. My board cover had a grid on it which makes squaring a breeze. This also helps if one seam is not exact and needs a little adjustment. Find a system that works best for your needs and enjoy the process.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 AM

I agree, ditch the iron. One should only use distilled water in the iron if you must steam. It doesn't leave any hard water residue to clog the iron. If you are not doing a lot of steaming, only put a little bit of water in the iron so it will be used up and not be left in the iron to rust. Or just mist it! I don't steam I mist. When the square is completely done and ready to get squared, I lightly mist and "press". This means not sliding the iron over the fabric but lifting it up and pressing the fabric all over. It makes it nice and flat so it can be squared before sewing the rows together. My board cover had a grid on it which makes squaring a breeze. This also helps if one seam is not exact and needs a little adjustment. Find a system that works best for your needs and enjoy the process.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 AM

I would try to replace the iron. Otherwise, run a tank of vinegar through it to clean, then a couple of tanks of clear water. Good luck
Old 12-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned

I think if your iron wasn't too expensive, I'd go for just pitching it. It's a great feeling to cut the cord off and toss it just before trash pickup, if you have trash pickup, because then you know it's out of your hands and won't worry you any more. Then get a cheapie one--I'm envious of the quilter who found four new irons at a resale shop!

I agree, Magic Eraser (the sponge with white on one side and blue on the other) does a great job of getting dried starch, etc. off iron soleplates. Astonishingly simple!

Dana
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 AM

Thank you everyone for all your tips. I have an expensive brand new iron still in the box and I will keep it for clothes touch ups. I am going to take your advice and throw this rusty one out then buy a 'cheapie' at Wal-mart and keep it just for piecing. Thanks to everyone again, Carol
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Do you have hard water (well water) that makes rust really fast I have gone to distiled water, non expensive to buy and save an iron.
Originally Posted by watson's mom
Thank you to everyone. I have a brand new iron still in the box, guess I will be getting it out. That makes the most sense, I just hate to part with this one. Oh well.
Thanks again. Carol