Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Steam Irons >

Steam Irons

Steam Irons

Old 08-15-2015, 11:29 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Steam Irons

I have had two irons and many times asked people what iron they use and is it hot enough and do they like it. Not once did anyone (professional or otherwise) mention that I might want to check the wattage before buying. I was in Walmart the other day and watts stuck out at me and it dawned on me I didn't have a clue what mine was and maybe that is why I didn't like it. Long/short - mine is a Rowenta 1400 watt. No wonder it doesn't get hot enough for me. I saw them up to 1800 watts... lots of money though.

Just mentioning this so when asked about how hot an iron gets maybe the answer should be in watts?

I'm down to one iron. My Black and Decker that I thought was 'ok' wouldn't work after I cleaned it. I threw it away before checking the watts so I don't know that answer. :-( It was better than the Rowenta.

Just something to chew on. LOL
Old 08-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Just realize that an iron is one of the biggest guzzler of electricity. I bought mine Rowenta at Costco for around $60 and it is a 1650 watt. I never leave it on unless I am using it.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Just realize that an iron is one of the biggest guzzler of electricity. I bought mine Rowenta at Costco for around $60 and it is a 1650 watt. I never leave it on unless I am using it.
Actually, anything that 'heats' is an elec guzzler. I always shut mine off between uses. So, how do you like your 1650? Does it actually iron material good? My 1400, even when sprayed, doesn't completely get the material right. I'm not talking heavy creases - just normal folds. Wondering just how high to go for my next iron and if its necessary to go high. :-)
Old 08-15-2015, 01:49 PM

I learned to check wattage for a different reason. I used an hourly timer for the iron. Set it for 2 hours, and if I forgot to turn it off, the timer turned it off. Took a good look at the Rowenta steam generator and it was only supposed to be used for 1400 watts.

What happens if you spritz your fabric with a spray bottle, then iron? If the iron works then, your spray may be wonky.

It could also be your steam pattern, how and when, not how hot the iron gets. Check the wattage on some of the Rowentas since they seem to be the most common, and then check the reviews and ratings. Amazon should have a few of those, plus other iron mfg.

I find my Reliable Velocity working far better than a Rowenta steam generator. You have to fill it more and the Reliable doesn't feel like it's heavier than the Rowenta.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:53 PM

Thats interesting because my rowenta gets hotter than any other iron I own and it was not the most expensive one either. Its the only reason I haven't tossed it since its so old it leaks like crazy now. Now I use it as my dry iron
Old 08-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Yes! I learned to check wattage. One tip I picked up from this board and it works for me. When I have to iron wrinkles out, I have a spray bottle. I use white distilled vinegar and distilled water. 1/4 cup vinegar to 20 oz bottle of water. If you need more then so be it. One thing I've done for years and picked the habit up when I worked in the salon, I unplugged the power strip and the cord was where I could see it. Don't have to worry if anything is on when you're not in the room and if anything gets knocked over you're in good.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Thats interesting because my rowenta gets hotter than any other iron I own and it was not the most expensive one either. Its the only reason I haven't tossed it since its so old it leaks like crazy now. Now I use it as my dry iron
What is the watts?
Old 08-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Yes! I learned to check wattage. One tip I picked up from this board and it works for me. When I have to iron wrinkles out, I have a spray bottle. I use white distilled vinegar and distilled water. 1/4 cup vinegar to 20 oz bottle of water. If you need more then so be it. One thing I've done for years and picked the habit up when I worked in the salon, I unplugged the power strip and the cord was where I could see it. Don't have to worry if anything is on when you're not in the room and if anything gets knocked over you're in good.
I don't use water in the iron - haven't for a long time. I use a spray bottle. I'll try it with vinegar and water next time.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:54 PM

Owned 2 Rowentas, didn't last long. Replaced with Black & Decker and it's going strong. Not sure of wattage but will keep it in mind when time to replace. My B&D turns off after maybe 10 minutes.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:06 PM

I love my Rowenta Pro Master 8080. It is 1700 watts, gets really hot quickly and has tons of steam. I have had it about 2 years, still no leaking. On the heavy side however.