Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To Steam or Not to Steam, that is the question!

To Steam or Not to Steam, that is the question!

I'm on the lookout for a new iron. I like the one I have now, a cord/cordless Oreck but it doesn't get quite as hot as I'd like it to when I used with the cord.

I've never come to a conclusion regarding the steam debate- is steam recommended when ironing quilt fabrics? or isn't it?

Please share the news about using steam on quilting fabrics, is it harmful? I'll make my decision on a new iron based on the findings.
    Warning! If someone comes to your door telling you they are from the government and they're checking to see how bad the ticks are in your area, and then tell you to take off your clothes and dance around so they can check for ticks.... DON'T DO IT!!! This is a scam! They just want to see you naked! I wish someone had told me this yesterday, I feel so stupid.
    http://www.quiltdasher.blogspot.com/...bel/long%20arm

I'm not sure steam is harmful to the fabric per se, but it is very easy to stretch a block out of shape with steam. I am a big lover of steam for ironing clothes (I have an iron with a standalone water tank) but have switched to using an old dry iron for pressing when quilting to minimize distortion opportunities. I have to use a dry iron, because apparently pressing the button for steam is an involuntary action

Blog Entries
    I press patchwork with a cordless steam iron but don't fill with water. It is the best iron for patchwork I have used so far. I iron with steam . If I wish to change or pin a shape out I tend to dip in a starch mixture and then pin leave to nearly dry then dry press using the iron plus the old wooden press. Works great.

Ps I only buy cheap irons because I am always breaking them.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I always use steam, except on applique. I bought a dry iron for applique, because I did'nt like to see the little circles from the steam holes. But I press, not iron, my pieced blocks ( lift the iron, then set it down ) no stretching of fabric that way.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a new iron at Aldis. They had it marked down to $12.99 and boy does it ever have the steam when I want it. Mary

Steamer, here. It, for me, makes everything flatter. And while I sometimes have distortion, I think that has more to do with my inaccurate sewing than it does the pressing/ironing. I just square up/trim and move on.

My iron has wonderful steam, but I don't use it very often. I think I'll try it on the next project and see if it makes any difference.

I've found using steam to PRESS seams, either to one side or open, makes the seams lay flatter.

Where quilting is concerned, I'm a no steam girl. I use starch to iron my fabric before cutting, and I rarely need to use anything more than a hot iron after that while working on blocks. If I have a stubborn (thick) seam (like when PP), or if I accidentally iron part of a seam the wrong direction, I'll give the seam line only a little spritz of starch and iron.

I keep a second iron that I use when I need steam. Working with wool applique is a good example. Also of course my clothes.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I always use steam. if you are careful the fab does not distort

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast