Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Steam a Seam 2 good Fusible?  Applique. >

Is Steam a Seam 2 good Fusible? Applique.

Is Steam a Seam 2 good Fusible? Applique.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:49 PM

I use it because it is repositionable. I am trying some spray on quilting baste now to see if it works as good.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried scoring the back of the fusible paper with a pin, tug gently and then peel the paper off? I don't like to score close to the edge, as it can fray the side of the applique :D:D:D
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 PM

I use a plain ol' kids glue stick. Always thought that fusible stuff was so expensive and I didn't like the stiffness.

Cut out your piece that you need to attach. Carry your glue stick around in your pocket for a while, works much better and wont stretch fabric when it worm and goes on easily. I just give the piece a little dab or little swipe of the glue stick and attach it to where I want it. Apply a little bit of pressuer an you are good to go! You can pick them up and reposition them for a good hour after being put down. Even when dry you can tug them off by the fabric may stretch out of shape.

I saw,ah, what's her name, Bonesteale(?) using them on an episode of her show on PBS. Once it dries, it doesn't gum up your needle either. Washing will remove it. It's all I use anymore.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 AM

I used Pellon and bought the Steam A Seam 2, but I have not used.
It is true that the fuse gives rigidity to the parts and makes your application with hand-scalloped much it costs. Even I did not dare to quilting that piece, because almost certainly could not do it manually.
I would like to find something less rigid, with some other element.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
I use a plain ol' kids glue stick. Always thought that fusible stuff was so expensive and I didn't like the stiffness.

Cut out your piece that you need to attach. Carry your glue stick around in your pocket for a while, works much better and wont stretch fabric when it worm and goes on easily. I just give the piece a little dab or little swipe of the glue stick and attach it to where I want it. Apply a little bit of pressuer an you are good to go! You can pick them up and reposition them for a good hour after being put down. Even when dry you can tug them off by the fabric may stretch out of shape.

I saw,ah, what's her name, Bonesteale(?) using them on an episode of her show on PBS. Once it dries, it doesn't gum up your needle either. Washing will remove it. It's all I use anymore.

The glue stick doesn't keep the fabric from raveling at the edges though. Fusibles help keep the edges from fraying. I do use the glue stick to help position fabric for paper piecing.
:thumbup:
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I use the Pellon fusible web lightweight, and buy it from the bolt. I like it a lot.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM

I have all three of the major manufactures Fusibles in various weights..... because each has their own positives and negatives. I really would suggest get a small piece and try it for your intented purpose.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Have you tried scoring the back of the fusible paper with a pin, tug gently and then peel the paper off? I don't like to score close to the edge, as it can fray the side of the applique :D:D:D
I tried that as well as someone's idea to score from the middle of the applique and work out. This stuff just seemed thin and hard to deal with. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM

I love it. If it is too stiff for you before you bond it to your fabric cut out the middle leaving about 1/4" to 3/8" around the outer edge and then bond. It leaves the middle nice and soft and just bonds on the edges. Clear as mud?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
I love it. If it is too stiff for you before you bond it to your fabric cut out the middle leaving about 1/4" to 3/8" around the outer edge and then bond. It leaves the middle nice and soft and just bonds on the edges. Clear as mud?
I've tried that with this product and still find it too stiff.