Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stencils >

Stencils

Stencils

Old 12-12-2016, 07:36 AM

I love stencils. They are my training wheels to learn FMQ. I prefer the pounce because it does come off easily and really all I need is a general idea of where I am going and what I am doing. I don't focus on tracing the line very much or I seem to get wobbly. My goal is get independent of them some day and I think I will be able to with enough practice, but right now I would be lost without them.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:30 PM

The pounce pad can be a little frustrating if you don't know how to use it.. first off you have to get the cloth part of it saturated with the chalk. Put it in a plastic baggie and shake until you have lots of chalk on it.. There is a right and wrong side to the stencils, the rouch side is the side that goes next to the fabric.. It is easier if you use a basting spray on the back side of the stencil,, not too much but it is easier to hold in place... Then when you apply the chalk, you don't actually pounce,, you swipe it across the stencil.. Works lots better than pouncing.. I took a class from someone that demonstrated it...
Old 02-01-2017, 10:17 AM

I understand how to get a stencil onto my fabric but I'm confused as to how to actually quilt using the stencil. I bought one that has what I think you'd call "broken lines." I'm new to quilting so I don't know all the terms but the lines or image in my stencil don't all connect together and I don't know if I'm supposed to connect them myself or break off each time I get to the end of a line.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:51 AM

The "broken" lines in the stencil are there to hold the pieces together. When quilting you join the lines.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:38 AM

I have always had trouble with stencils. I can never seem to stay on the lines (or even close to the lines most of the time!) when I quilt. I feel like the machine is always moving faster than I can keep up with.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:31 PM

Do you have a speed control on your machine? If so, use that to slow the machine down until you feel like you're going too slow, then inch it up until you feel comfortable with the speed. Also, try to slow your hands down, especially around curves. It's easy to go, "vroom" around the curves and then slow down on the straight lines. I think everyone does it at some point.
If you don't have a speed control I've read of some people making a block to put in their pedals so that the pedal only goes down so far, so you can't jam the pedal to the metal, sort of thing. Also, I forget which instructor on Craftsy it is that says this, but she says when you're FMQ-ing, if you get scared, STOP! Re-group, figure out your next step and start again. Can't tell you how many times I've used this advice.

Watson
Old 02-02-2017, 02:21 PM

You either trace the design or pounce it through the broken lines, then move the stencil and line it up to continue the design. The design can be used for FMQ or hand quilting, which ever you prefer.

I have pounce and Crayola super washable markers, but I prefer the markers because they stay.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Do you have a speed control on your machine? If so, use that to slow the machine down until you feel like you're going too slow, then inch it up until you feel comfortable with the speed. Also, try to slow your hands down, especially around curves. It's easy to go, "vroom" around the curves and then slow down on the straight lines. I think everyone does it at some point.
If you don't have a speed control I've read of some people making a block to put in their pedals so that the pedal only goes down so far, so you can't jam the pedal to the metal, sort of thing. Also, I forget which instructor on Craftsy it is that says this, but she says when you're FMQ-ing, if you get scared, STOP! Re-group, figure out your next step and start again. Can't tell you how many times I've used this advice.

Watson
That is very helpful, Watson! Thank you!! I will try again this weekend. I think my machine just goes faster than I am comfortable with. I am going to try your tips. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Banned

Your pounce will stay longer if you mist it with cheap hairspray after marking.