Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sticking Gingher Scissors

I have a pair of the Gingher gold handled scissors and they stick something fierce. I know if I put sewing machine oil on the blades, it helps for a while but after I cut out 2 or 3 pieces, it's right back to sticking. It makes it hard to open and close them. Anyone have any ideas? Is there something I can use that won't mark up the fabric I'm cutting? This website is a lifesaver for me. Thanks for any help.

I think I would take them to a knife sharpening/scissor sharpening business and have them looked at. If they have been dropped, it is possible that they are out of alignment and need adjusting. Sticking scissors are frustrating to use.

Many of the hancock fabric stores once a month have a man to come pick up sissors and sharpen them. You might check there. I think I would try putting the oil into the area where the screw is.

Many of the hancock fabric stores once a month have a man to come pick up sissors and sharpen them.
    Kind of off topic but I had to share. I saw the sign about scissor sharpening in my Hancock's so I asked when he'd be in so I'd know when to bring in my scissors. The clerk said, "Oh, he comes in every now and then but we never know when he's coming." Huh? You mean I just leave my scissors and hope for the best? Needless to say I never did get my scissors sharpened.

The pair I got my daughter also stuck. The owner of the LQS where I bought them told me hers did the same thing, and she said to loosen the bold just a tiny bit. That took care of the problem.