Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sticky rat trap glue and a quilt-THank you all and RESULTS!!!UPDATE >

Sticky rat trap glue and a quilt-THank you all and RESULTS!!!UPDATE

Sticky rat trap glue and a quilt-THank you all and RESULTS!!!UPDATE

Old 07-10-2008, 12:17 AM

Hey Terri, i just asked hubby, he's a mechanic, but worked in a dry cleaners when he was younger. He says wd40 will put an oil stain on the quilt, and gee, hope the peanut butter didnt do that too. Anyways, his trick that he uses around our home is this, for stubborn stains on clothing, he uses brake cleaner that you can pick up in an auto store. He says it is the same chemical that dry cleaners use. He says he doesnt know if that will work for sticky, but worth a shot, and if that doesnt work, take it to a dry cleaners, and they can use a steamer to undo the glue, and then dry clean it, hope this helps :) Ooops, be sure to test the brake cleaner on just a small spot to start with, but it's never ruined any of our clothes.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 AM

UPDATE.........

Ok, I didn't go and get the mineral spirits. I did, however call my oldest and scolded her about this quilt. The rat trap mishap happened almost a year ago and she said she kept forgetting. UGH!
I asked her is she tried to use anything on it. She said a vet told her to use vegetable oil. So, I hang up with her and break out Canola Oil. Don't have veggie oil
IT WORKED!!! Just pour it on let it set a min and then scrape it off. It rolls off a little and you have to pick it off some, but the stickyness is pretty much gone.
WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!!
I tossed it back in the washer with some Oxyclean and it's washed up fine. It's now drying so, we will see if I have all the sticky places out. Didn't find anymore, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Great news!!!! Hope all sticky spots gone!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 04:08 AM

oooh that sounds really yucky. Glad you at last found a solution, typical of a dear daughter, she had the solution and forgot to tell you.

Glad the quilt is okay and presumambly the cat has a bald patch till it grows back again. I would definately lodge a complaint, but where and would it be of any good..... :(

Elle
Old 07-10-2008, 04:30 AM

Glad you got it out because i was going to recommend a medical grade solution that breaks down epoxies and glues.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 AM

There's just one small spot that I found, so will work on that in the morning. Just glad I could get it out. There was no way I could take it apart and replace the squares in it. I don't have that fabric anymore! lol
I called her and told her it was all better. Asked her why she didn't do it and she said she was scared to wash it and didn't know if she could put it in the dryer. UGH!! I thought I had taught her better! lol
But, when I take Courtney back to HI, I'll bring the quilt back with me.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Hello, actually WD40 does work, Just a little of it desolves the glue. You can also put it on the cat. I have done that too,the cat did get a bath, as they lick themselves,He was really greasy, Mad as H and just didn't appreciate anything that I was doing form Him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I was at work when this happened. So He spent the better part of the day with a mouse glue trap stuck to his back. His expression was so funny, didn't get a picture. Hope you get it all out.
Bill'sBonBon
Old 07-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Great news, I'm glad the canola oil worked!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:43 AM

:thumbup: Glad things worked out!
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 AM

I use oil for everything, one time my daughter got sat in the wooden potty chair without the little cup in place. She actually stepped into it and then sat. She was really stuck, so I took all her clothes and diaper off and poured oil around her tummy and slipped her right out. (the chair was for her big brother) She must have been about a year old. Oil works well on gum in the hair too.