Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stippling and Stitch Length?

I finally got "Mary" my vintage Singer to work for me. Sadly to say it was operator error. Silly me had the needle in backwards. Now she is purring like a kitten. I am new to free motion quilting, so I haven't had a lot of practice. My stitches are very small. Am I in control of my stitch length since the feed dogs are down? I would like my stitches to be a little longer--any suggestions?

Yes, you are in control of the stitch length. Just need to slow machine down and keep your hands moving about the same speed as your machine. It just takes alot of practice.

If you are doing a small tight stipple, you do want to keep the stitches smaller so the curves look like curves. If you are doing straight stitching then the stitches can be a bit larger. Remember when you are doing any curves you do need to take it slower or your stitches will "eyelash" on the back of the quilt.

FMQ on a domestic machine does take some practice. You have to get into a rhythm with your machine.

Good luck.

It's just a matter of practice and finding the right speed for you.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    If you are doing a small tight stipple, you do want to keep the stitches smaller so the curves look like curves. If you are doing straight stitching then the stitches can be a bit larger. Remember when you are doing any curves you do need to take it slower or your stitches will "eyelash" on the back of the quilt.

FMQ on a domestic machine does take some practice. You have to get into a rhythm with your machine.

Good luck.
    You are so right!!! Eyelashes and I are great friends.