Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch controller >

Stitch controller

Stitch controller

Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM

Default Stitch controller

Can anyone please tell me if the stitch controller is worth adding to your long arm. I have two choices within my budget - one is Bailey's 17E which does not come with stitch controller (can be added to it for extra $$$) but it has two lights with 7 LEDs each, laser stylus, etc and the other is Baileys 17 with the stitch controller, ruler attachment, lollipop attachment (whatever that is), and I am not sure it has laser stylus. If the stitch controller is important I can forefeit the lights. Right now I have a DSM and I am my own stitch controller. Please demystify this one for me. Thank you!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

you will get differing opinions on the stitch regulator. many folks find that once they learn the rhythm of the quilting, they don't use their regulator anymore. i have a different reason for having a regulator. i find that i need to stop from time to time, rarely moving all the way from one end to the other in one go. when starting and stopping on this 'journey', it takes me some time to get up to snuff again. so the regulator works well for me. by the way, the lollipop is a platform that is used when doing ruler work. i've been to the Bailey's shop and they are the nicest, most informative folks.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM

I have a Tin Lizzie 18 and use my stich regulater all the time. I find when not using it I can't keep my stiches even. Because I do not move at a steady speed, I find myself going slower in the more detailed or smaller areas of my designs, then I will move faster in the larger loops, feathers ect. I do all free hand LA. Sometimes I have to stop for a second to change direction or think about my next move, with the stich regulater the needle stops moving when I stop. I keep trying to use the regular setting but I'm just not comfortable with it yet.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:00 PM

I have the stitch regulator on my Gammill, and I love it. In fact, I don't think I can do a very good job without it. So in my humble opinion, it's worth it.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM

When I bought my Voyager 17, I splurged and bought the stitch regulator. I have never regretted that decision. I would go for the regulator...you can work out lighting on your own.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 AM

i would go with the regulator you wont be sorry you did.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Buy the regulator. I have one on my sewing machine and love it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

One thing to be aware of, the regulator that comes with the Baily is not a true stitch regulator, it is a speed controller. IOW, when you come to a complete stop with a true stitch regulator the needle stops, it does not continue to sew and will not sew until you move the machine again. The Bailey it will continue to sew. It does not come to complete stop when you stop, you can only set speeds with the Bailey stitch controller. A true stitch regulator is computerized and you set it by stitches per inch not by a speed setting. It has sensors on the wheels of the machine tray that contact the rails of the rack and that is what senses your speed. A true SR usually adds a couple of thousand or more to the cost of the LA set up. (the new lightening stitch that is made for the Innova, if I were to have my machine retro fitted with that, would set me back $5000)

That being said, I would not be without the stitch regulator. I love it. I tend to stop and think a lot while I am quilting. I also need that needle so slow waaaay down for me when I am doing some very detailed work, especially work that requires dead on back tracking.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 10-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

i'm surprised to hear this information! i thought the bailey had a true stitch regulator. i've been thinking of getting a bailey's and was going to get the regulator with it. it does have the wheels that run along the frame just as my Quilter's Cruise Control does. so i was thinking it's the same. Chuck previously told me my QCC will not work on the Bailey's. so i just called the shop to ask about it. i was just told that when you stop the machine, the regulator keeps running so you get your lock stitches. then you have to turn the control off if you don't want it to keep sewing. bummer... i had my heart set on it.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
One thing to be aware of, the regulator that comes with the Baily is not a true stitch regulator, it is a speed controller. IOW, when you come to a complete stop with a true stitch regulator the needle stops, it does not continue to sew and will not sew until you move the machine again. The Bailey it will continue to sew. It does not come to complete stop when you stop, you can only set speeds with the Bailey stitch controller. A true stitch regulator is computerized and you set it by stitches per inch not by a speed setting. It has sensors on the wheels of the machine tray that contact the rails of the rack and that is what senses your speed. A true SR usually adds a couple of thousand or more to the cost of the LA set up. (the new lightening stitch that is made for the Innova, if I were to have my machine retro fitted with that, would set me back $5000)

That being said, I would not be without the stitch regulator. I love it. I tend to stop and think a lot while I am quilting. I also need that needle so slow waaaay down for me when I am doing some very detailed work, especially work that requires dead on back tracking.
Thank you very much for this very useful information. I had no idea! I will just have to either wing it without the real stitch controler or get used to the one they have. I will still go with Bailey's not only because their machine is the ONLY one in my price range, but also because I know I will depend on their customer service which is excellent. I just have my heart set on it. Maybe one day, they will come up with a true stitch controller and I can upgrade. I really want a long arm, quilting a queen size quilt on my mechanical DSM can get rather frustrating at time.